a little history

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Silent World and The Last Dive do not compare. They are totally different. Reading The Silent World you'll learn about the early days of SCUBA, that Cousteau did not invent the regulator nor did he claim to be the inventor. He did contract out for its invention. The concept was his.

The Last Dive is excellent in some ways, yet extremely poor in others. It gives lots of excellent information on what was happening in diving in the 1980's. What I hated about the book was it strived to take two men with horrible attitudes toward diving and turn them into heros. It tells the story of how their attitudes eventually killed them both. What it doesn't do is stress that attitude was their undoing. The author tries to make the case that communications between diver and boat is needed. What was needed in their case was a different attitude. They were both afraid to look like wimps by calling a dive both knew they shouldn't make.

DSSW,

WWW™

I had read excerpts of "The Last Dive" in Adventure Magazine, and it sounded like there was much bravado between father and son. It's my understanding that they were diving a WWII sub wreck. Were they a well known team within the tech community?

Back
Top Bottom