a morbid question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This brings to mind one skill and one practice that could save your life.Especially new divers.

Know how to ditch your gear .

Always put your weight belt (if you use one) over crotch strap etc.

EastEndDiver:
This brings to mind one skill and one practice that could save your life.Especially new divers.

Good point. I once refused to dive with a guy who was putting his weight belt inside his drysuit :11:

Why would someone dive with 58 pounds of weight. That is absolutley crazy.

captain:
He didn't even have to turn on the air, just ditch the gear and swim to the surface. !2 feet is pool depth.

Try quickly ditching a one piece harness and heavy diving rig with empty lungs.

If the guy chose to dive a twinset without being able to reach his valves, without checking himself or having a buddy check you cant blame poor training - thats 100% the fault of the diver concerned.

EastEndDiver:

I deliberately put mine under crotch strap. I do NOT want the slightest chance of ditching lead meaning i rocket to the surface and miss stops.

Simpler solution - dont OVERWEIGHT yourself. Sadly thats something most people do.

Again:

If these practice's were followed in the two stated cases they would be alive.

Thrillhouse:
Anyway, you've still got a reasonable amount of air left, but are continuing to sink into an abyss of water... What happens to you, and how long do you remain conscious?

To try and answer the original question. (novel concept :D )

Somewhere below 200 feet the narcosis would make thinking impossible. Somewhere below 300 the PO2 will kill you.

Actually probably not a bad way to go. The gas planning would be much easier as well on a one way ticket.

Narcosis also affected by speed of descent. This would be quick. Suspect onset of narcosis, confusion and O2 tox at the expected descent rate would be rapid. It'd all be over quickly, before the person really knew what was happening.

EastEndDiver:
Not that I wish to hijack the thread ... but that statement isn't as absolute as you make it to be. Personally, I wear my weightbelt under my crotch strap, as I would not wish to inadvertently lose my weight belt. If I NEED to lose it, I can easily release the crotch strap and remove my weightbelt.

To my concern, ditching your weight belt can be either a safety practice or a hazard, depending on situations ... buoyant ascents are to be avoided under all but the direst of circumstances. Most times a diver will want to do this once they've reached the surface ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob I agree.But it is always easier for a "rescue" diver to ditch your weights on the surface( If they need to be ditched) If it is over the crotch strap. For new divers I do think it is better to have the weight belt over the crotch strap.

Back
Top Bottom