A new device for underwater hearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sympathies!

I just had a quick email exchange with the Science writer; she said: "The physics principles are the same whether one is going from air to water or vice versa -- these results hold true both ways. I've attached the original research article, which states that "Consider the case of air-to-water acoustic transmission. The acoustic wave equation obeys the principle of reciprocity, and so yields the same reflection and transmission coefficients as the water-to air case." "
i don't agree; yes, the equation goes both ways, but the reflection coefficients from a rough sea surface are not the same in air and in water because the sound wavelengths are different for the same frequency sound.

Because the physics principles of flight are the same when applied to automobiles, we can have flying cars. Any day now.

You STILL do not understand the article. It does NOT help you hear sounds made underwater.
Breath...

would still have to be pretty bloody loud to be heard over any distance. If you want diver recall, get one of the transmitters that you can built for about $50 and drop it over the edge....
That's what I was thinking. If the objective is for people above and underwater to hear each other does it work at 100' apart? 3 feet?
MY tongue and cheek reply would be--would it help me hear what those actors on TV are mumbling about without my wife having to turn up the volume--ah, too much Band teaching and age I guess.

Back
Top Bottom