A note to all the newbies, just dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetwrench

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having only 200+ dives, I still consider myself a newbie. I am one of the lucky ones, as diving seemed second nature to me after all the pool time I put in while growing up(competitive swimming). Skills came easy, and being back in the water was calming, no stress.
That made me want to keep going with my U/W education and the first thing to learn was, to be a "diver", you must dive! So I did, and I do, and I still have the desire for more. So many of my fellow newbies have fallen by the wayside. And in doing so, their skills deminished(use it or lose it). The few I have seen could use a refresher, at least.
My point is, all us newbies need to remember that the first C card is our ticket to learn more and practice the skills we already know. It does not (persay) make us divers. A diver, IMO, is one that gets out there and practices and learns and practices some more. The vets here will no doubt agree that the best divers are the ones that are always learning, listening, asking questions, and DIVING!
So when you finish that last O/W dive and the instructor says you're good to go, ask yourself "When will I dive again?" A 20 year C card holder that dives once a year on vacation is still a newbie in my eyes. And most likely, it will be obvious to those who really dive.

Sorry, just something I noticed after my last dive that I had to share.

Jetwrench:
Having only 200+ dives, I still consider myself a newbie. I am one of the lucky ones, as diving seemed second nature to me after all the pool time I put in while growing up(competitive swimming). Skills came easy, and being back in the water was calming, no stress.
That made me want to keep going with my U/W education and the first thing to learn was, to be a "diver", you must dive! So I did, and I do, and I still have the desire for more. So many of my fellow newbies have fallen by the wayside. And in doing so, their skills deminished(use it or lose it). The few I have seen could use a refresher, at least.
My point is, all us newbies need to remember that the first C card is our ticket to learn more and practice the skills we already know. It does not (persay) make us divers. A diver, IMO, is one that gets out there and practices and learns and practices some more. The vets here will no doubt agree that the best divers are the ones that are always learning, listening, asking questions, and DIVING!
So when you finish that last O/W dive and the instructor says you're good to go, ask yourself "When will I dive again?" A 20 year C card holder that dives once a year on vacation is still a newbie in my eyes. And most likely, it will be obvious to those who really dive.

I definately still consider myself a newbie, and probably always will. But I get kind of tired of being told I am not worthy of being here because I don't dive enough. I enjoy diving, and I enjoy reading and learning about diving. But I do not have the time or resources to become a drysuit diver - maybe when I retire (about 40, my husband is older than me.) Living in the Pacific Northwest, that makes me a vacation diver. I don't pretend to be anything else; I'd rather not spend the next 14 years being told to shut up and dive :D

(The preceding is only an expression of my feelings and not to be taken as a personal attack on Jetwrench or anyone else on this board.)

Just remember, practice does not always makes perfect; practice perfect makes perfect.

I will always consider myself a new diver, just the same as I consider myself a kid!

cowprintrabbit:
I definately still consider myself a newbie, and probably always will. But I get kind of tired of being told I am not worthy of being here because I don't dive enough. I enjoy diving, and I enjoy reading and learning about diving. But I do not have the time or resources to become a drysuit diver - maybe when I retire (about 40, my husband is older than me.) Living in the Pacific Northwest, that makes me a vacation diver. I don't pretend to be anything else; I'd rather not spend the next 14 years being told to shut up and dive :D

(The preceding is only an expression of my feelings and not to be taken as a personal attack on Jetwrench or anyone else on this board.)

No offense taken, Christine. Your response only proves your interest in diving. And the day will come when you/me will no longer consider ourselves newbies. You dive when you can! Learn all you can! I never meant to make anyone feel like their achievievements were any less than the good feeling I felt when I got my first C card. I can see where you would take my comments in a negative way. My bad! And I will never tell you to shut up. My post was to get the newbies to think "diving". I thank you for your input. More lessons to learn!

I agree! Perfect pratice makes perfect. It's a whole different, practically untarnished world in the water, and we have (or at least soon will have) the ticket to explore it! Lord knows I've read over teh first chapter in my diving book 3 times... and watch that DVD they gave me like a Disney movie ^^'''' but I still understand I probably don't know much, and I don't want to (pardon the pun) go in over my head because I thought I knew everything X_x

Thanks, Jetwrench! I guess my response was more to several similar posts this year... I'm not a morning person :)

(Total aside - wondering about your username "Jetwrench" - do you work on aircraft? You can PM me if you don't want to take the thread off topic.)

Jetwrench:

You know, that was really well said. I'm another 200+ newbie who took to Scuba all to easily compared to some of the folks who have problems and fears. Got a few more cards now, and I'm always planning my next few trips, i.e. St.Lawrence in Sept, NC in Oct, Bahamas in Dec.

But spare me the Rescue & DiveMasters who have been to the ocean once, and want to tell me how to do it...

DandyDon:
I'm another 200+ newbie who took to Scuba all to easily compared to some [snip].
But spare me the Rescue & DiveMasters who have been to the ocean once, and want to tell me how to do it...
Don, you struck a chord that resonates mightily with me. I was nodding in agreement with you and Jetwrench and then it hit me that I was almost one of those book-learning pros.

It was only after leading two slightly less experienced divers on a cold night dive that I realized just how solid and unconscious the skills have to be for a teacher or leader. Don't misunderstand me, the dive was great and one I'm proud of, but it also made me stop and re-evaluate (and put off for a while) any thought of divecon/instructor training. There's still so much I want to practice, practice, practice.

And so many suggestions, here on SB and elsewhere, for gear configs, maneuvers, and mental approaches. If the blessed peacefulness of blowing bubbles weren't enough, the opportunities for improvement would still be calling me, making me eager for any chance to dive.

-Bryan

How I wish I was a newbie with 200+ dives under my belt. I am a newbie with less than 20!! However, I am learning and diving every week now. I have made a few mistakes though none of them fatal yet but I have made them only once and I write them in my log book. I realise that you will make a fatal mistake only once as well before anyone mentions that. Diving in poor visibility in NY makes me appreciate the skills that are taught and drilled into people. I just did my first night dive in NY and I got disorientated a bit, lost my instructor twice though we found each other as I held my position by sticking my hand into the sand, covered my light and turned a 360 degree circle until I saw his light. All that I had been taught was cover my light but I improvised a bit as there was a bit of a current. As the visibility was bad and I was diving dry, following the instructor diving under a bridge head first made the air rush to my feet and that totally upset the buoyancy I had achieved so my next dive I am diving wet. I have been using my dry suit regularly up here so I can get used to it. I shall be diving wet for the rest of the season after Sunday or do people think it might be a good idea if I alternate depending upon how deep I plan to go? So I am looking forward to reaching the 200+ newbie status one day soon and am suprised that PADI accepts only 20 dives to begin the Divemaster course. I am more interested in geting my practice perfected than knocking off the certificates. :)

Far_X:
under my belt. I am a newbie with less than 20!! However, I am learning and diving every week now. I have made a few mistakes though none of them fatal yet but I have made them only once and I write them in my log book. I realise that you will make a fatal mistake only once as well before anyone mentions that. Diving in poor visibility in NY makes me appreciate the skills that are taught and drilled into people. I just did my first night dive in NY and I got disorientated a bit, lost my instructor twice though we found each other as I held my position by sticking my hand into the sand, covered my light and turned a 360 degree circle until I saw his light. All that I had been taught was cover my light but I improvised a bit as there was a bit of a current. As the visibility was bad and I was diving dry, following the instructor diving under a bridge head first made the air rush to my feet and that totally upset the buoyancy I had achieved so my next dive I am diving wet. I have been using my dry suit regularly up here so I can get used to it. I shall be diving wet for the rest of the season after Sunday or do people think it might be a good idea if I alternate depending upon how deep I plan to go? So I am looking forward to reaching the 200+ newbie status one day soon and am suprised that PADI accepts only 20 dives to begin the Divemaster course. :)

Far X, Dive that drysuit! Then, dive it some more! You now have another goal and a skill that you can and eventually will master. The answer IMHO(newbie) is to stick with it and it will truly become a skill of "second nature". Go back to the wetsuit when you feel the same comfort(skill) level no matter what you are wearing. Before you know it, you WILL be there and dive 200 will come before you know it. As far as DM course goes, my LDS wants 100 dives logged before they will take a candidate. I believe that is standard. My DI keeps harping me to do it.

Christine, I'm glad you understood:) A PM I will send, and please dive safe!

To all my fellow newbies, Dive Dive Dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom