A plea to the Scubaboard invaders!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firstdive2005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone! I go to Coz several times a year. I am fortunate to leave my gear at Scubarepair and Javier sends it to where I'm diving when I get there. Thus my luggage is somewhat lighter and I am able to shuttle things down for the less fortunate kids on the island. So my plea is that if you have extra room in your luggage can you bring an item that could be used by a child. You could bring a Christmas gift also and it will be delivered at Christmas. Ask a dentist if they have sample toothbrushes. Also if you can bring a backpack for the kids to use for their school books.
Now if you dont have that ability to bring something and still want to help, just go to Mega or any store on the island and stimulate the economy there with a purchase for a kid.
I have a dive shop buddy that will deliver these goods. The shop will not be named because this is not to solicit business so please dont ask. It will get done anonymously.
I know most of us have had tragedy in our areas at home, it seems epidemic but 15$ goes a long way for a gift there if you can spare that amount.
I will personally be taking toothbrushes and toothpaste out to the families in the middle of the island. We will likely take other items out then too.
I cant wait to meet you all at the hotel and through diving. It's getting sooooo close! Thanks for helping. If you have other ideas to help less fortunate kids there, let us know.:D be well kevin

You should have this moved to that forum, and delete your countdown timers as they won't work now.

Good ideas. :thumb:

Hi- I have been getting pm about what to bring and from people that want send me money or get it from them when they are there.
1. The kids need back packs for carrying school books, good running shoes, toothbrushes, toys for tots.
2. I dont want anyone sending money.
3. I will pick up money when I am there and go purchase what is needed and get it to the party that will get it to the right places.
4. Toys that dont need batteries please, soccer balls are good, but good ones please. Even ball gloves. Used soccer cleats are good too.
5. I can get prescription glasses to an eye doc that will get them scripted and handed out.
6. Get the idea. anything really, even used safety glasses for construction workers.
thanks kevin

Hi- For those that would like to bring something easy--coloring books with pencil crayons and sharpeners for the pencils. They young girls love them, as my groovy cool hidden partner put it. I just picked up a wack of them at the dollar store today. They also sold the pencil crayons dirt cheap. Just another idea.
Yanno also, if anyone has an old dive mask and old fins around collecting dust the kids that hang out at Palapita on Sundays freak when they are given them. The smiles dont come off too easy I tell ya. Great place for salsa dnacing Friday nights too.

You should have this moved to that forum, and delete your countdown timers as they won't work now.

Good ideas. :thumb:
Ok so I was wrong. Oh your countdown timer is indeed dead :D but it was a good idea to post this here for general consideration by all Coz SB fans. Sorry and thanks for the thread. I just hope the actual Invasion crew gets the word.

I also visit coz all the time and have seen 1st hand the joy on the kids' faces with the smallest of treasures!!! Please bring whatever you can and we will make sure this christmas some kids have what they only could dream of!!! Thanks 1st dive 2005 for posting this!! Cannot wait to meet everyone!! 13 more sleeps!!

I'm going to try to bring some stuff, I didn't realize this was an on going thing, we brought stuff the last time we were down around Christmas tme, but I didn't realize this is an on going thing all year round.

How do we meet up with you once there?

By the way, not to sound like an idiot, but really, what are the conditions really like? I see lots of families and kids all around Cozumel, I've driven about the island, all around San Miguel and they don't seem that poor, I mean, sure by US standards of course they aren't anywhere near as well off, but they don't seem glaringly poor to me where thier parents couldn't afford a back pack or a small toy once in awhile.

Please fill me in if you can, I mean this in the most humble way. I'm just trying to understand better.

I'm going to try to bring some stuff, I didn't realize this was an on going thing, we brought stuff the last time we were down around Christmas tme, but I didn't realize this is an on going thing all year round.

How do we meet up with you once there?

By the way, not to sound like an idiot, but really, what are the conditions really like? I see lots of families and kids all around Cozumel, I've driven about the island, all around San Miguel and they don't seem that poor, I mean, sure by US standards of course they aren't anywhere near as well off, but they don't seem glaringly poor to me where thier parents couldn't afford a back pack or a small toy once in awhile.

Please fill me in if you can, I mean this in the most humble way. I'm just trying to understand better.

Your right in town it does not seem too bad. When you find the shacks in the back 40 then you see what we try to give assistance to-people that are stuck. It is a very sad predicament for sure. And you know what, you can find this type of poverty in your own backyard if you look hard enough. Anyway thankyou for the question it is a difficult one to ask and answer. If you really want to see it, I will run you out to the inner island area where you will see the difference that these simple gifts make. Also there are many families that just barely get by even in town so they also receive the love gifts. So thanks again for asking.

Thanks for explaining, that makes more sense, you're correct I have not seen the shacks way back. If it can work out, I'll take you up on the offer to go with you.

I rounded up 5 children sized back packs today, a bunch of hair barrets and a couple of other items. Wife was already shaking her head (in a good way) with that look like, how am I going to fit this in the bags? :confused:

Might push me over to another bag. (but of course that just gives me incentive to make sure it's packed full if I have to bring another one) :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom