A question for you PSD guys about the ferry that just sunk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
A question for all of you PSD divers out there. I have been following the news about the ferry that just sunk in the Philipines. There has been talk of sending rescue divers in the the water have a look around to see if anyone is alive. Having a diver enter a very large ship that is floating upside down seems like a very iffy idea at best. Not saying that those who might be alive inside aren't worth every effort to save. Just the thought of an overhead sinking enviroment scares me a bit.

From the pics in one thread, it looks like that big ship is pretty close to shore. I am not sure what the bottom looks like or how deep the water is.

How would an operation like this even begin to take shape? What does the PSD team have to consider as they plan something like this?

How would they handle removing people if they were found alive in an air pocket?

I dont believe I have the training for such an operation. I believe who ever was to enter that ship would have to be trained /experience in some sort of penetration diving such as wreck or cave. I still may be off on my presuming that.

It looks like according to the article quote below that they are going to cut a hole in the side and send some divers in. If they found people trapped in air pockets--although at this point it is not looking good--how would you get them out?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aeAxO7sq2x60&refer=asia

June 24 (Bloomberg) -- Philippine divers battled high winds and rough seas to try to enter a ferry that capsized off the coast as they hunt for an estimated 800 people still missing.

"Only the tip of the bow of the 24,000-ton MV Princess of Stars is above water off the central island of Sibuyan after it went down June 21. A tugboat is on standby with equipment to cut through the ferry's hull if divers are unable to find an entry point into the vessel today, the Associated Press reported. "

No sign of life: Divers ordered to bore hole in hull - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos

"MANILA, Philippines—Divers have been ordered to cut a hole with blow torches through the hull of the upturned MV Princess of the Stars to confirm if there are still survivors inside after rescuers pounding on its walls earlier heard no signs of life.

Adm. Wilfredo Tamayo, commandant of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), told reporters Monday that it was possible that there were air pockets inside the doomed ferry where survivors could be found.

“We have given instructions to start coming up with an opening on the hull to facilitate the access of the divers. We gave them permission to use cutters in making an opening on the hull,” Tamayo said.

Fourteen divers from the PCG and the Philippine Navy were involved in the effort."

http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Local News&p=54&type=2&sec=2&aid=200806241
Hopes were rapidly fading Monday for more ferry survivors as powerful waves limited rescue efforts to planning strategy for the best way to get inside if the weather clears Wednesday.

Divers heard no response Sunday when they hammered on the tip of the 23,824-ton Princess of Stars that was still jutting from the water off Sibuyan island in the central Philippines, but officials refused to give up.

"We're not ruling out that somebody there is still alive," coast guard chief Adm. Wilfredo Tamayo said. "You can never tell."

Officials were pinning their hopes on two teams of military divers being able to find an underwater opening Tuesday.

"We'll do this at the earliest opportunity, weather permitting," Tamayo said."

"

Sound like they are using the right people to get the job done. This is a Military not PSD operation. If I were still in the Navy I would be chomping at the bit to do the dives. At this time I'm not so I'd call the Navy. They have the tool and expertise to get it done.

Gary D.

The Philippine Military do have Seals but at this point any air that was still in the ship would probably be devoid of oxygen so it is a recovery operation at his point I would think. You never know though I guess.

I can't imagine the difficulty of trying to go through a multitude of passageways filled with debris and pitch black. But as Gary points out, military divers live for this type of operation.

There could be people alive for days inside the hull so every attempt needs to be made to reach them. After the Pearl Harbor attack there were sailors tapping on hulls for several days. Some were saved while others died a very slow cold dark lonely death.

More recently some surviving sailors of the Kursk died waiting to be rescued. Let’s just pray they are able to reach some survivors. Right now I feel so helpless.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom