A question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by sharpenu
My dives are mostly drift dives. We dive in group sizes ranging from 2 to 14 divers. One member of the group aways has the required bouy. But, we don't all surface at once. This results in a sometimes scattered group. So, I frequently need an auxilliary marker.

Might be worthwhile to borrow from the techies and have a small lift bag and a reel to send up when you get away from the group and do your safety stop under it

I use the whistle, strobe and a 50lb lift bag.
Don’t beat me up, but I don’t own a safety sausage. I just never saw the need in the places I have dove. Should I ever get into trouble, I’ll just inflate my ego, I’m told it’s easily seen.

Dive Safe ………………………………….Arduous

I haven't seen mention of the DiveAlert (air horn) or RADAR reflecting markers...

-K

I always carry a safety sausage with me, too, and my safety reel. Had to modify my Balance a bit so I could secure the balloon in the small of my back (like I do with my tec setup), but it's so much better secured there than in the drop pocket of the BC. I actually always keep the drop pocket folded, and still manage to squeeze a small Safety Stop Anchor balloon in there, so I have two balloons. I also always keep a whistle on my BC.

If you're usually drift diving, it's a good idea for everyone in the group to have their own signaling devices, preferably a balloon AND a whistle.

Good idea about the strobe. :) I usually only bring my strobe on night dives, to mark the descent line or things like that. Now that I think about it, it's probably good for surface marking, too. :) Thanks...

I carry a dive alert whistle in my left thigh pocket and a spool and bag in my right thigh pocket. The addition of a strobe for night might be good but the HID light is a sure fire way to attract attention.

The problem of having boats come to *inspect* the buoy troubles me... and I'm not sure that having a dive flag painted on in would help. I am inclined not to use the buoy shore diving (unless practicing with it) and only use it when diving from a live boat that is following us.

Fortunately here in the PNW we do not have a law requiring divers to tow a *target*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom