A return to Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone

I spent about two weeks at Buceo last August.
Considering coming back to Anilao.

Wondering if it's worth going back to Buceo.
Didn't have any issues with them while there.

Wondering if it's better going somewhere else and seeing new dive sites.
I realize that some sites may overlap (the ones between Buceo and hotels west ward).

Not super interested in a spa or pool.

Or should I make my way to Puerta Gallera?

@hedonist222

PG offers very different diving than Anilao even though they are somewhat close in proximity. Whereas Anilao is almost entirely small critters (with the occasional turle) PG has a decent mix of macro subjects and a few larger things (including some nice reefs, schools of fish, etc.).

[Just my opinion] Anilao is not your typical tropical paradise (visually), however PG (by contrast) is a bit of a dump. You can optimize for where you stay (away from the main beach) but the bay itself is still full of boats, intro divers doing checkout dives, quite a few divers underwater, etc. It can feel crowded (because it is).

During your stay in Anilao did you get a chance to take the day trip to the Verde Island Passage? Based on the results of several studies, it's now considered the epicenter of the the Coral Triangle, known for it's biodiversity (& concentration of marine life within the passage). They offer trips from PG as well. It provides quite different diving than either PG or Anilao (lush reef, plethora of fish life, etc). We've been a couple of times and are working to get 2-3 day trips in during our next Anilao visit.

SB is going to "invade" PG in Jan 2024 for the second time.

@hedonist222
[Just my opinion] Anilao is not your typical tropical paradise (visually), however PG (by contrast) is a bit of a dump. You can optimize for where you stay (away from the main beach) but the bay itself is still full of boats, intro divers doing checkout dives, quite a few divers underwater, etc. It can feel crowded (because it is).

Do you mean dump from a city/urban perspective?
If I were to go to PG, then I would prefer to stay away from pedestrian footfall.

Any suggestions? I know Asia El Galleon is popular, but anything else? Budget not a huge issue.

@hedonist222
During your stay in Anilao did you get a chance to take the day trip to the Verde Island Passage? Based on the results of several studies, it's now considered the epicenter of the the Coral Triangle, known for it's biodiversity (& concentration of marine life within the passage). They offer trips from PG as well. It provides quite different diving than either PG or Anilao (lush reef, plethora of fish life, etc). We've been a couple of times and are working to get 2-3 day trips in during our next Anilao visit.

Unfortunately we never made it out to Isla Verde.
If I do return to Anilao, I will most certainly make sure I visit Verde.

Do you mean dump from a city/urban perspective?
If I were to go to PG, then I would prefer to stay away from pedestrian footfall.

There are probably some colorful comparisons that could be made in describing the area fronting Sabang beach and White beach (near where the ferry comes in).

The easiest way to describe it is likely to say there is a lot of nightlife on offer.

The farther you get away from this main area the better it gets. There are several walking tour videos of this at night (on Youtube) that do a pretty good job of illustrating what it's like.

Back
Top Bottom