A SO CAL dive history question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Healthways, 3669 Seventh Avenue in Los Angeles, California, owned by Dick Klein?

Reactions: mdb
cal wreck divers has a lot of folks who know history some of it may even be true. They are a colorful and interesting source of info California Wreck Divers
also check out Alec Pierce....he is a cool and eccentric Canadian guy who has been in the dive industry forever. He has a youtube thing where he posts tech tips ( great for new divers), vintage scuba, and sea hunt ( he know everything see hunt and must have the biggest collection of vintage gear.) Alec Peirce Scuba

alec has ONE of the largest collections , he has been known to buy some of my stuff ....he does have a lot of sea hunt ... he's been chasing my double hose signed by Lloyd bridges ... I got jeff bridges to take the cans to dad to sign....I will NEVER sell it ...even though its a usd not a voit (couldn't find my voit cans I had !!!!)

[QUOTE="Trace Malinowski, post: 7956869, member: 36873"

]Healthways, 3669 Seventh Avenue in Los Angeles, California, owned by Dick Klein?
[/QUOTE}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trace,
I apologize I have been away for a while and not attending to the history quizzes

Very good guess...but not the answer ( the Answer is A.J. Pops Romano- Sea Net Manufacturing company which was located in Terminal Island, California )

Richard "Dick" Klein was a pioneer SoCal promoter of health --there fore the name of his company which marketed water sports equipment, weight lifting equipment and later on recreational diving equipment. But he was some what late in the recreational diving game

I will be posting a new history question about Dick and all the dive companies which emerged from, Healthways--stay tuned

SAM

Trace,
Sea Net--Now you have heard of the company and now you know.

I suspect it was a wee bit before your or PDIC time. Pops died in 1954 and his heirs thought there was no future in recreational diving so the manufacturing/store was closed -- and forgotten but for a few who were privileged participants in that era.

I would suggest that you and others review the products available in the pre 1954 Sea Net Catalogs - This was the very genesis of recreational diving products in the US - Terminal Island California -

By the way a very tardy congratulations on receiving your SSI Pro 5000 Diver--It is indeed a great honor that recognizes long term, and hopefully continuing commitment to recreational diving.

SDM

Thanks, Sam. In 35 years of diving, I haven't figure out what Pop's heirs knew to be true. :)

Thanks, Sam. In 35 years of diving, I haven't figure out what Pop's heirs knew to be true
>>>
Trace
Pops passed away in late 1954, as I recall the month was March, which left US Divers owned by the Frenchman Rene Bussoz -- Much to the surprise of SoCal divers he sold USD to JYC and a team of SoCal American investors; two car dealers and a real-estate developer in December 31 1954- It was comforting to know we were using French equipment from a company owned by a Vichy Frenchman and two used car dealers and a RE developer-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cal wreck divers has a lot of folks who know history some of it may even be true. They are a colorful and interesting source of info California Wreck Divers

>>> California Wreck divers were formed by the late Mickey Pitman in the mid 1970s. Most of originals have passed on or have moved on . Their primary interest was searching, documenting and diving ship wrecks ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"also check out Alec Pierce....he is a cool and eccentric Canadian guy who has been in the dive industry forever. He has a you tube thing where he posts tech tips ( great for new divers), vintage scuba, and sea hunt ( he know everything see hunt and must have the biggest collection of vintage gear.) Alec Peirce Scuba

alec has ONE of the largest collections , he has been known to buy some of my stuff ....he does have a lot of sea hunt ... he's been chasing my double hose signed by Lloyd bridges ... I got jeff bridges to take the cans to dad to sign....I will NEVER sell it ...even though its a usd not a voit (couldn't find my voit cans I had !!!!)[/
QUOTE]"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alec will be delighted to know he is "eccentric."

Alex began life as a school teacher but his love was diving which he had had been participant since age 13, so he began a career in recreational diving which cumulated in establishing SCUBA 2000 in Toronto, which he recently sold.

SCUBA 2000 is what a dive shop should be but few seldom are. SCUBA 2000 was repeatedly in the top ten dive shops in the world while he owned it .

He has unquestionably the largest Sea Hunt collections in the world--

I have visited with Alex in Toronto made a number of presentations at SCUBA 2000 on dive history and Alex and Diana have visited Mrs. Miller and me at our California home .

He is the younger brother I never had

Now on to Healthways history quiz -- stay tuned
SDM

Reactions: mdb
>>>
Trace
Pops passed away in late 1954, as I recall the month was March, which left US Divers owned by the Frenchman Rene Bussoz -- Much to the surprise of SoCal divers he sold USD to JYC and a team of SoCal American investors; two car dealers and a real-estate developer in December 31 1954- It was comforting to know we were using French equipment from a company owned by a Vichy Frenchman and two used car dealers and a RE developer-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nice post-Great historian-looking forward to the Healthways Chronicle.

Healthways was my first job in the SCUBA biss.

I remember Gustav coming over a couple of times a week for lunch with my immediate boss-Claude O'Haver.

Interesting times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom