A SO CAL dive history question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Diving history - especially in SoCal - where it all began -is being lost at a rapid rate, So a few questions to test your memory of dive history....

What was the name of the first dive manufacturer in SoCal and US ?___________________

Where was the operation located? _______________________

What was the owners name? __________________________

Tic tock... Tic tock...Tic tock... Tic tock

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SDM

Stick around - I suspect you will have a lot of company !

As I posted the very short history is being lost at a rapid rate with the ;passing of time and the generations.
Only a precious few remain from the first generation and the second are in their mid to late 80s

Are you attending The SCUBA Show this June ? I will not be presenting but will be attending with wife Betty.

All is well in sunny and warm CenCal

SAM

The earliest mass producer of dive equipment in the U.S. is the American Diving Equipment and Salvage Company now known as DESCO. It was established in Milwaukee in 1937 and is still in business.

In 1939 Owen Churchill of Los Angeles redesigned Louis de Corlieu's earlier swim fins and sold them to the U.S. Navy. He sold less than 1000 pairs, just enough income to allow for his sailing passion.

In 1948 Rene Bussoz imported the Cousteau/Gagnan Aqua-lung for sale at his Westwood store, Rene's Sporting Goods. He returned to France in 1953. The store's new management transformed the store into U,S. Divers.

Just a guess, Sam... Divers Supply in Wilmington California?

The earliest mass producer of dive equipment in the U.S. is the American Diving Equipment and Salvage Company now known as DESCO. It was established in Milwaukee in 1937 and is still in business.

In 1939 Owen Churchill of Los Angeles redesigned Louis de Corlieu's earlier swim fins and sold them to the U.S. Navy. He sold less than 1000 pairs, just enough income to allow for his sailing passion.

In 1948 Rene Bussoz imported the Cousteau/Gagnan Aqua-lung for sale at his Westwood store, Rene's Sporting Goods. He returned to France in 1953. The store's new management transformed the store into U,S. Divers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All answers to every question can be found electronically---WRONG!
and So are You !

Recall the question was California manufacturer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Owen Potter Churchill was a SoCal resident - I knew him and have been a guest in his Brentwood home on several occasions.. He and his family were wealthy.- He did not need money to subsidize his sailing
He won a Gold metal in the 1932 LA Olympics for sailing took a year off sailed to south seas met
Louis de Corlieu. Returned to US discovered de Corlieu had patented his fins in US so Owen designed his Churchill's

The first year he sold 940 pairs of Churchill's primarily to life guards

Question what did Louis de Corlieu call his fins ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:
Just a guess, Sam... Divers Supply in Wilmington California?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Darn good guess ..but the Divers Supply, located at 1150 Wilmington Blvd.-- interesting how I recall that address after all these years - was late in the game and a component of "Sparling School of Diving" owned by E.R Cross. It closed about 1957=8.

Recall when ER was sailing the south seas and writing articles for SDM?

Keep on guessing

SDM

Divers Supply manufactured and distributed the first two stage, single hose regulator, starting in 1951
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Where did you pull that up from?

It is true ER Cross who owned Divers Supply did in fact make a two stage, single hose regulator, starting in 1951. I never saw one but do have a picture of one.

But not the answer... ER qwas late in the game and closed shop in 1957 or 8..or maybe later to sail

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom