A80 - Got My Housing - WA Lens or Strobe Next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrisB:
Chad: did you do any post-processing on your gallery images?

Not a lot of post processing. I tried to take out Scatter spots on a few, and played with reducing the blue haze on longer shots. I've also played with color setting like brightness, etc, but that usually ruins the picture. Why? If you saw the triggerfish pic, that once came our really vivid for some reason. I think I removed some blue haze. Anyway, If you have any suggestions please let me know!! I'm still learning how to take the best shot and edit them. What software would you suggest. I'm just using and old editing/slideshow program, I'm to cheep to spend the big bucks for Photoshop or somthing like it.

I think my next move is to get a strobe :)

no, the reason I asked was because the colours were so amazing! Your sig mentions that you just use the internal strobe, so I was curious if those were the sort of results I might expect, or if there was a lot of postprocessing happening to get them to look that good.

Good work!

Internal flashes shouldn't be dissed quite as much as they sometimes are. If anyone has any doubts just check out calypsonick's gallery - all without external strobes. Why are his photos so excellent? Well, after tons of practice and getting out there and using his equipment he knows what the capabilities are and works with them.

For software, try PS Elements 3 - very powerful and pretty economical.

For free software that users rave about try...dang, forgot the name...gimp! I think maybe www.gimp.com? Evidently this is a very powerful program (did I mention FREE) but does not handle RAW files. JPEGs are the way to go.

HTH

DiverMo:
What would give me the biggest benefit as to taking decent pics - a wide angle lens, a strobe, or something else? Right now I am thinking wide angle lens, and using the internal flash to get by on until I pick up a strobe.

I have the A80 and housing... and last used it in Coz... I would suggest the strobe be your next purchase (infact, I got mine yesterday!!) Unless you are in 30' waters, I didnt see that the internal flash helped much.

I do have 2 color photos in my gallery... taken in 30' water... and then the rest were just blue (deeper waters) and were taken with the flash, so I used Photoshop to turn the black/white.... and love them B&W (but I like B&W pictures).

Although, the trick to getting great pictures and great color is getting as close as possible to the subject.

Cant wait to see how the strobe brings out the colors in the pictures... I'll post again after my Coz trip for Mem. Day.

I have the A80 and Canon housing as well. And I asked the same question... strobe or lenses about a year ago.

The folks at Wetpixel.com came back with a resounding STROBE!!!! And I listened to them. I bought the Ikelite DS-125 because most of my diving is in water that has 5-10ft visibility, and the 125 has a modelling light so I can see where it is aimed.

I now have the wide angle and macro lenses that Sea & Sea sell - love the WA, but I find the macro lens doesn't improve the camera's macro abilities that much - but that's OK because it takes great macros on its own. And for macro pics I found the internal strobe to be sufficient - no strobe was required.

I would echo the comment of "get used to what you have before you add something else." Just take the camera and housing and play with it. Then add the strobe. Then add the lenses if you want. Step by step will have better results than learning everything at once.

If you want to see photos taken with just the internal strobe, look at... http://www.pbase.com/kiml/black or http://www.pbase.com/kiml/deer2
For those taken with the DS-125, look at... http://www.pbase.com/kiml/092004a or http://www.pbase.com/kiml/sept04
I'm happy with the quality of all the photos, with very little editing - but my software of choice is PhotoImpact 8.

Cheers,
Kim

I recommend a flash. The Canon will perform well enough with it's lens. Beyond way 20 feet you'll need a flash for certain or you'll have significant color and contrast loss.

Look under the scenes mode to see if you have an underwater setting. My A85 does.

DiverMo:
Alright, just got my housing (well ordered it, it's on the way). What would give me the biggest benefit as to taking decent pics - a wide angle lens, a strobe, or something else? Right now I am thinking wide angle lens, and using the internal flash to get by on until I pick up a strobe.

If the choice is the WA lens, does anybody have any recommendations?

And this should probably be another thread, but I am gonna sneak it in here: would anyone happen to know the size of the main housing o-ring? I just want to pick up at least one more spare before my trip. Thanks

Moscuba:
I recommend a flash. The Canon will perform well enough with it's lens. Beyond way 20 feet you'll need a flash for certain or you'll have significant color and contrast loss.

Look under the scenes mode to see if you have an underwater setting. My A85 does.
The "SCN" mode didn't come out until the Ax5 series (e.g. A75/85/95) -- the A60/70/80 do not have it.

Moscuba:

Personally I don't use a strobe, I guess thats because we have really clear water here, and why have another thing to carry if I'm happy with the pics I'm getting. You mentioned using a strobe beyond 20 ft. I didn't realize that even strobes would illumiate that much. Are you sure they will help that much?

Chad

alcina:
Internal flashes shouldn't be dissed quite as much as they sometimes are. If anyone has any doubts just check out calypsonick's gallery - all without external strobes.

?? but calypsonick's signature says he uses strobes. ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom