About to buy my first BC, and am now a bit apprehensive about buying Mares...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miker625

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay, so I have been doing a lot of research on BC's and had finally just about decided on the Mares Dragon w/ MRS Plus (not the Air Trim model). I even drove two hours to the Divers Supply in Jacksonville and tried on several models. I like the way the Dragon fit and I had seen a lot of good reviews and even a Tester's Choice award from SCUBA Diving Magazine. But, now I am seeing all these posts about the MRS weight pockets falling out. This is a huge investment for us. My wife is also planning on getting the Mares Kaila, which also uses the MRS Plus system. I have seen a couple similar threads on the same issue with that BC as well.

So, can anyone say whether or not it is really a problem with this particular weight system? Or is it really just a few isolated problems? I have seen the posts from the Mares reps, indicating that this is a proven weight system and that it is reliable. And, to their credit, I have seen more good opinions of the Mares line of BC's than I have negative. It is also nice to see that Mares has representation on these boards and is active.

I would like to hear from people that are using these BC's. I guess I am hoping to get some reassurance that I am making a good decision. Right now I am looking at getting the Mares Dragon, Atomic Z2X Reg and the Suunto Vyper wrist mount computer. I have spent many hours looking at reviews and researching and going to dive shops to try equipment on. Thank you to anyone that has thoughts on this.

I am in exactly the same boat, I want to buy the Dragon for me and the Kaila for the missus - I after reading all those threads, i has serious reservations. But after physically checking out the Mares weight pockets system in the shop - my fears are eased - they look very sturdy. So I will be ordering the Mares BCD's (along with Mares regulators and octopi - I just like the way they look :).

I've found two of their weight pockets at different divesites in different countries. Weight still in them. Both near moorings so possibly they were either dropped or fell out when someone splashed. Not sure what model # but both were Mares. The ones with the red plastic grips on the front of them.

A dive buddy lost one of hers doing a beach exit a couple years ago also - she had a Mares but I don't know what model - her BC was a few years old also.

But she liked it so much she bought a new Mares BC. The one with the Airtrim. She used it this year and really liked it.

The BCs are excellent quality, and quite comfy too! I have the Dragon airtrim. When the pockets are placed in correctly, the mechanism does it's job of securely holding them in! I've had no problems... The secret here is making sure they are properly pu in in the first place! :popcorn: Check, double check... I even give a bit of a tug by holding the pouch itself (not the release mechanism :no:) just before entering. If everything feels nice and snug, I go for it!

Any weight system can release unwillingly (yes, even belts). By properly checking your gear before entry, you are reducing this risk (reducing, not eliminating). The Mares system is no different.

Just by the amount of people who don't do pre-dive checks, I'm not surprised there are lots of people loosing their pouches.

I personally think what Ze did was quite smart! :coffee: He had doubts about the gear (which is understandable), so he went to see for himself and tried them in the shop! Obviously it's not a real diving scenario, but you can still get a good idea of the mechanism!

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the replies. Yeah, I completely agree that you need to go into a shop and see things for yourself. That is why we drove so far to Divers Supply. I tried on the Dragon and it seemed to fit nicely and the weight pockets seemed pretty secure. So, I guess we will just see.

To get some more feedback about Mares BCD, See what the UK has to say
@ UKDivers.com
Under Mares MRS weight pockets.

I have a Mares bc.. ok, and a lot of other stuff. I've loaned it to my nephew and he has managed to loose a weight pocket twice, and still does not understand what he is doing wrong..

It is possible to incorrectly put the pocket in, so that it will easily fall out...like many things in life, some people get it, so don't and blame the BC...

They make very good stuff by the way.

Exactly what I am saying. It's real easy to tell when the weight pocket isn't put in properly. You have to have the pouches in when you put the BCD on, because the pockets are so tight you can't possibly do it wearing it. If it's not latched properly, when you bend over to stand up and attach your cumberbund and clasps, that is when it should fall out, if it wasn't in properly in the first place. Not while you're diving!

The real easy to tell part seems to elude some people.. it is to me...but some do not understand that it has to side on a track to properly lock in place..but I have known people to loose weight pockets from every BC made...and other that never loose them.

Agree 100% with this! And you really have to peek underneath the pocket to make sure it's in the track! I always slipe them in while the BCD is on the ground. Check them. Then recheck once I've doned my BCD. This said, I'm sure an unwanted release can still happen. No system is failproof...:no:

The real easy to tell part seems to elude some people.. it is to me...but some do not understand that it has to side on a track to properly lock in place..but I have known people to loose weight pockets from every BC made...and other that never loose them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom