Absolutely Addicted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimswitheagles

Registered
Reaction score
I ran into SB a few days ago while searching the Internet for great deals diving the Sea of Cortez. What a great site! I'm a relatively new diver with only 9 dives logged.
My first open water experience was VERY uncomfortable. I did my first 2 certification dives at Catalina in October. (Water temp was 63 degrees.) I couldn't find a rental suite that fit properly so I ended up going with a farmer jane that was just a little too big. The instructor was kind of doing two groups at once - an open water group and an advanced group. My group (OW) was left with a dive master to snorkel (in water that was 50' deep) for 45 minutes! Some of the divers weren't feeling too spiffy at that point. :sick: Then we had to go back through the kelp and be pulled out of the water to don our diving gear. Well, as I mentioned, my wetsuit didn't fit properly, so I had 63 degree water pumping down my back for the whole dive. :frosty: I shivered uncontrollably for 30 minutes after getting out. We had one more dive to do that day and I made it through, but I chickened out for the final two the next day. :chicken: I did my final two dives in Saguaro Lake with about 3' (if that) visibility. :wow_2:
Despite these dubious first dives, I did get in the water again in Maui and I am absolutely hooked. I spend a lot of time looking on the Internet and through travel books to plan future dive trips. I am the bargain basement queen, so if anyone has any tips to give me on finding spectacular (and I do mean spectacular) deals to diving destinations, let me know. I don't need luxury or fancy food, I just want lots of bottom time and a decent place to spend gassing-off time.
Thank you to everyone for making this a great site! :)

to SB!
Great group of folks and great info, always at your fingertips!

[c]I like your spunk. Going what you went thru the first day of cerification, and then actually finishing -
even tho not the very next day.
My Stetson is off to you!![/c]

So - Welcome to SB! :wavey: Please do put us in Favorites on your 'puter, and check in often.

Did you ever get a good fitting suit? I just bought a new 7 mil semi-dry for a 3 day liveaboard a few of us are flying to LAX for Memorial Day Weekend.

don

Welcome to the Board and Congrats on surviving your OW! Didn't have it quite as bad as you, but our 1st pool day of OW class was in a driving torrential cold rainstorm and they kept us in the water for over 4 hours ... it made our first blue water dive in Belize seem like we'd died and gone to heaven!!

You're not that far from us (here in TX), so I'd say keep your eyes open for a good Cozumel airfare. Food & lodging can be found very inexpensive, and the diving is very reasonable as well. And the water is nice & warm compared to what you trained in!!

DandyDon:
[c]I like your spunk. Going what you went thru the first day of cerification, and then actually finishing -
even tho not the very next day.
My Stetson is off to you!![/c]

So - Welcome to SB! :wavey: Please do put us in Favorites on your 'puter, and check in often.

Did you ever get a good fitting suit? I just bought a new 7 mil semi-dry for a 3 day liveaboard a few of us are flying to LAX for Memorial Day Weekend.

don

Thanks for the welcome!

I now have a used 3 mil and a new 7 mil that both fit nicely (a dive skin underneath doesn't hurt either). I've never heard of a "semi-dry" suit. What is it and how does it work?

P.S. - I never thought about the fact that my handle doesn't make it clear whether I am a "sir or madam". Maybe I should change my avatar. There was one I was debating on. What do you think? :thumbs_up :thumbs_do

Welcome to SB Swimswitheagles I like the Avatar
you got alot of spunk I am a big dude so I just went and bought a 3 mil before my OW class didn't want to hear we don't have your size. Then I bought a BC for the same reason. Diving is so much more enjoyable when everything fits hehehe.

swimswitheagles:
Thanks for the welcome!

I now have a used 3 mil and a new 7 mil that both fit nicely (a dive skin underneath doesn't hurt either). I've never heard of a "semi-dry" suit. What is it and how does it work?

P.S. - I never thought about the fact that my handle doesn't make it clear whether I am a "sir or madam". Maybe I should change my avatar. There was one I was debating on. What do you think? :thumbs_up :thumbs_do

Yep, that clarifies it. You have to share that with other gals, but that's okay. Nobody else wants mine, it seems.

I haven't got the semi-dry yet, but I've seen one in use. I think it just has really good seals, that lets less water thru. I guess I could run a search on Exposure suit forum, but I got it for $125, so I bought it - and I'll soon know what I bought.

don

Back
Top Bottom