Absurd dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try PEP BOYS auto parts for your flares

S.C.U.D.A.- LOL :D That was it! Too funny.....

Anyplace that sells Kayaking gear will have waterproof flares, flare gun kits and dye markers.

victoriawtx once bubbled...
for your cell phone that attaches to your BC. I saw an ad for one in a dive magazine recently.

I don't get it.

?????

I think the idea was to carry your cell phone with you on the dive, not to use it, but because you didn't have a safe place to leave it on shore during your dive. I suppose you could carry your car keys and wallet too.

KrisB once bubbled...

Why are these listed?

C'mon, man... You know the ones... They're flat and round, with a mouthpiece sticking out of the SIDE of the reg... They're non-adjustable, can't be disassembled underwater if there's a problem (likely, since it's the "octo," and not often used), vent bubbles right in your face, and breathe like crap anyway. Some of the ones I've seen don't even use a seperate hose, meaning that if you want to use it, you MUST use the hose it came with... Which creates a problem for the user who wants to customize their own gear (every diver I've ever met).

I haven't used one in a long time, but the last time my buddy used one, she had a primary reg failure and needed to use the "octo." She pulled it off her "octo holder" and guess what? It didn't work. Apparently the diaphragm inside wasn't sealing properly, probably due to a little dry rot.

She was able to use the octo anyway (her decision - I wasn't on the dive) but it pretty much gave her a mouthful of water on every breath until she was able to surface.

When she confronted the dive shop about it, they pointed out that it never had done that before. Of course, they weren't really sure, because they don't get tested on every dive, since it's "only the backup reg." The whole brilliance of that statement really says a lot about the dive shop if you think about it. What difference does it make that it worked last time? And what do you mean by only the backup reg? You mean the one that, when it's needed, you REALLY, REALLY need it to work?

They were selling the "low profile octos" (in bright yellow, of course) for $89. Why would anyone want to do something like that when they can purchase a real second stage (even a top-of-the-line one) to act as backup for about the same price? Heck, some dive shops sell some of the best Apeks second stages for only like $20 more...

...Just doesn't make any sense... Except, of course, for the LDS...

Both force fins and Split fins are good fins and don't belong
on this list.

TRIG
:)

Like I said, "One man's trash is another's treasure. I agree with 100days-a-year, the Seavision is unnecessary and useless, but I have buddies who love theirs. It's a matter of perception. Everything anyone lists here will have people who like it."

I'd keep them both on the list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom