abyss regs vs voltrex regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sudsy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

Could you tell me what the difference between the two regs? Are they the same reg?

Thanks
Sudsy

The second stages are exactly the same unit. The first stages are usually different. The Abyss was introduced with the MR22 first stage, but was also seen on the MR12 (limited basis). The Voltrex was paired with the MR12 and MR16 first stages.

Greg Barlow

The Voltrex still uses the older flat plastic cover -with no metal (or metal covered plastic) The Abyss has for the past several years used either a vaned cover, a raised mesh cover and lately a flatter mesh cover. The Abyss is now paired with the new, lighter weight MR22

Last year, I believe, Mares offered the Voltrex second with the older style MR22 1st stage. It even incorporated the new plug for adjusting the lever height without removing the cover and the teflon coated interior parts.

I just got my Mares email newsletter this morning and it mentioned a new Abyss coming out, the Mares Abyss Extreme.

This has absolutely nothing to do with your question mate, but thought I would share.

The Voltrex you are probably looking at is the 22T. Which uses an older style MR22 First stage (With trimaterial seat), and a Voltrex second stage. The second stage is pretty much the exact same new Abyss second stage (with the adjustable port on the side) but has the older style Voltrex cover on the front. Both are excellent regulators and will perform very well in whatever conditions you put them in.

Back
Top Bottom