Accessory importance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imwright1985

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So i was wanting to get a list of must have accessories based on price and use listed by whats most important to buy first including everything from an octo holder to some of the more expensive things such as dive computers and mentioning determining factors for some items like point vs blunt tip knife or air integrated comp vs wrist

basic concept is outfitting a basic rig decent bc, decent regs and octo, analog gauges, wetsuit and snorkle gear. I decided to start this thread because that is what im doing right now, but once you start buying one thing its like being in a candy store and ohh i have to have this, that, this other thing and before you know it your walking out of a shop spending almost double your anticipation.

I think i have a right track but here is what i have based on importance
-diver locator inflatable marker 25 bucks came with a whistle too
-stuff i had already, basic tool kit, spare orings
-octo strap 2 dollars
-gauge hook 3 dollars
-gloves 25 dollars
-Titanium dive knife (leg strap style with an angled tip) 50 bucks (Its a deep sea partial blunt tip so it could be good for light prying but also stabbing and has line cutter and serrated edge)
-my bc already has air2

future purchases:
-Light
-wrist slate
-computer (still deciding between air integrated or a wrist)

So i was wanting to get a list of must have accessories based on price and use listed by whats most important to buy first including everything from an octo holder to some of the more expensive things such as dive computers and mentioning determining factors for some items like point vs blunt tip knife or air integrated comp vs wrist
My advice, is to slow your roll. You're going to find out a lot of those gadgets that make you oh and ah right now are going to end up gathering dust at the back of a closet once you get a bit of experience in.

basic concept is outfitting a basic rig decent bc, decent regs and octo, analog gauges, wetsuit and snorkle gear. I decided to start this thread because that is what im doing right now, but once you start buying one thing its like being in a candy store and ohh i have to have this, that, this other thing and before you know it your walking out of a shop spending almost double your anticipation.
Good start. You want to get good regs, because they are your life support. Get good solid stuff, stay away from "gimmicky" things, like titanium. Scuba Pro, Apeks, etc. are good choices. Even if you don't have the desire right now, you may find yourself moving towards more advanced diving in the future and you dont want to have to buy everything all over again because the initial stuff was inadequate.

I wont get into the whole BPW/Jacket discussion here. I would however, advise you to try and dive different BC's if at all possible. What works for one person isn't necessarily what you're going to like.
I think i have a right track but here is what i have based on importance
-diver locator inflatable marker 25 bucks came with a whistle too Good choice
-stuff i had already, basic tool kit, spare orings
-octo strap 2 dollars You may change opinions on these later
-gauge hook 3 dollars but at least they're cheap
-gloves 25 dollars You can get a nylon glove with a rubber/plastic coating on the fingers and palm for $5 at Walmart. You don't want to touch coral even with gloves on, so they are really only needed if hanging on the line, etc.
-Titanium dive knife (leg strap style with an angled tip) 50 bucks (Its a deep sea partial blunt tip so it could be good for light prying but also stabbing and has line cutter and serrated edge) Ti is hard as hell to get an edge on and to get it to hold. Find a good Stainless Steel knife and get a small one that can secure to your BC or look at EMT shears.
-my bc already has air2 Many arguements against an Air2. Not saying it's wrong or right, but you might want to do some research on it. Also, you mentioned an octo holder, are you using an Air2 and an Octo? Personally, I'd pick one (Octo) or the other, not both.

future purchases:
-Light A good hand held light can be useful in many situations. Might want to move it up on the list.
-wrist slate Consider Wet notes. $15 at West Marine
-computer (still deciding between air integrated or a wrist) AI computers are used by a lot, but have some drawbacks. Consider doing a lot more research on something this expensive before you make a decision.

Finally, try to find some experienced divers in your area, look over their gear and ask questions about it before you commit too much $$. Don't take everything your dive shop or instructor tells you as gospel either, as not all of them are looking out for your best interest as much as their own.

You might PM ScubaKevDM ScubaBoard - View Profile: Scubakevdm, I think he runs a shop that's fairly close to you and he comes highly recommended by several on the board.

My accessories list (for recreational diving)...

1. 3" Titanium Dive Knife, blunt tip in nylon pouch.
2. Perry/Storm whistle
3. Finger Spool with line.
4. DSMB, oral inflation.
5. SS Boltsnap for SPG (tied using line/cave knot)
6. Neck bungee for Octopus/AAS
7. Back Up and/or Day-to-Day dive light (LED, 2x AA)
8. Small Mirror
9. Gloves.
10. Low Volume back-up mask.
11. 2 spare double-end SS boltsnaps
12. Waterproof Notebook and propelling pencil

All of this is stored in a single pocket on my wing harness and a pocket on my wetsuit leg, or attached discretely around my rig (i.e. DSMB bungeed to the bottom of backplate).

The stuff without prices i got for free or already had laying around so might aswell be free. I started buying the stuff with the prices because i knew i needed them and did kinda jump the gun with it like walmart for gloves (didnt even think of it)
The air2 was on my bc already so i left it, the bc i have used jacket style but my gear got stolen so i got a zeagle Back inflate for cheap to try. and i got the gauges and Beuchat regs (din with yoke conversion) and octo from a friend so figured id leave it till i figure out what i like better.
The knife i know TI is a PITA to sharpen but figured with the serrated edge shouldnt be too bad for maintnance, but am thinking about a bc knife or emt shears but wanted a normal knife since i spearfish.
I gotta look into the wetnotes but next purchase will probably be a light. The computer im waiting till end of summer or next year because of price and wanting to look into it better.

My main intent with this is based on expenses like cheap very helpful accessories to more expensive and stuff that is a must have, like the indicator marker or dive knife what order you should have first and what some determining factors are for what accessories become more important

I have accumulated a vast assortment of knives. I rarely carry any of them. I have several slates and rarely use them, either.

I love my AI computer. It makes the whole dive much more enjoyable. I got it before a wetsuit or tank, which I rented for quite a while.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd get the regulator and computer and safety sausage/whistle first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom