Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For you folks that are instructors, what amounts of liability insurance are you required to carry? Is there a minimum or maximum? Just curious.

The standard PADI instructor insurance is $1,000,000 per occurrence. Renewals were just mailed to everybody and this event has me seriously considering the optional additional liability, although I only teach a much lower risk group than most other instructors.

For you folks that are instructors, what amounts of liability insurance are you required to carry? Is there a minimum or maximum? Just curious.

Please know that in the event of a lawsuit, there would likely be more than one defendant. PADI would likely be a co-defendant as might the company that owns the quarry. So, there would be multiple deep pockets here.

Please know that in the event of a lawsuit, there would likely be more than one defendant. PADI would likely be a co-defendant as might the company that owns the quarry. So, there would be multiple deep pockets here.

My dive insurance will not cover me if it is deemed I violated PADI standards, based on the fact that the Instructor was expelled, He violated PADI standards and is not covered by his policy.

My dive insurance will not cover me if it is deemed I violated PADI standards, based on the fact that the Instructor was expelled, He violated PADI standards and is not covered by his policy.
And he would sue Padi, but this is really a discussion for the Court Cases forum...?

And he would sue Padi, but this is really a discussion for the Court Cases forum...?

Depends. We haven't received subpoenas yet, but I'm pretty sure they're coming. I was told I might need to repaint my door by the time this is all over. Seems the common thought on this case is that everyone is going to sue everyone. Possibly twice.

Thanks, but the part I have quoted above has me confused.

Who saw the diver panic, attempt to swim to the surface, and suffer an embolism? What prevented the diver from swimming to the surface when she made the attempt? Was the missing diver at the end of the line? Otherwise, how did her buddy not realize she was missing earlier?

My best answers:
Q1: Understood to be her husband as they departed the platform heading to the cold abyss of zero viz
Q2: Understood to be the transcript of the dive computer
Q3: Understood to be Medical Examiner Theory
Q4: Unknown. But the diver was negative upon discovery
Q5: She was not
Q6: He did notice, and he was actively looking for her

Depends. We haven't received subpoenas yet, but I'm pretty sure they're coming. I was told I might need to repaint my door by the time this is all over. Seems the common thought on this case is that everyone is going to sue everyone. Possibly twice.

You seem to know an aweful lot about this. What was your involvment?

If you were involved and you are expecting subpeonas or lawsuits directed to your attention, perhaps the prudent thing to do would be to quiet down a little bit about your opinions until you figure out what your exposure is.

You seem to know an aweful lot about this. What was your involvment?

If you were involved and you are expecting subpeonas or lawsuits directed to your attention, perhaps the prudent thing to do would be to quiet down a little bit about your opinions until you figure out what your exposure is.

I'd prefer not to say specifically. But thank you for your advice/concern.

Clearly, I've already sought and received legal counsel and understand where I stand on the issue.

I'd prefer not to say specifically. But thank you for your advice/concern.

Clearly, I've already sought and received legal counsel and understand where I stand on the issue.

I took a quick look at your posts. It appears you've gone from OW to a CCR and instructor in less than 3 years. You repeatedly recommend Splash Dive Center. From the sound of this post (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/416567-atomic-venom-mask-leak.html#post6296766: discussing the return of 30 masks), it seems like you might work there.

What is your angle here?

I think it's a fair question.

Since you moved to address my background, I’ll provide you more insight. As a pilot I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours reading accident reports. You should know my activity is not born from morbid curiosity. If I'm about to fly an MU-2, I want to know why that airplane has killed every type of pilot, at every experience level, in any weather condition, in all phases of flight. Is there a reason that airplane is failing pilots, or is it really? That's an interesting discussion for another day, but conceptually my intent is the same. I think you’ll agree it’s frustrating that an accident like this occurred.

We come to this forum to discuss these accidents, elements of the accident, and as prudent individuals we have to decide how we use these opportunities. Many years ago on another discussion forum, I wrote a post about a pilot who I thought was careless and destined bend an airplane. Sadly, he was deceased within 24-hours. His bravado took with him a local flight instructor seriously injuring, and permanently damaging a young woman. There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but as you’ve likely heard before there are no old & bold pilots.

I believe in accident chains. I believe there are people who repeatedly make bad decisions. I think there are people who believe their superior intellect or superior physical condition allows them to exceed the agreed upon baselines or standards of the community. These people feel special, these people feel entitled, and these people are dangerous.

I remember asking the following question in flight school, “How do you know a good pilot”. I’m expecting to get some technical answer about keeping glide slope within a hair of a gnat’s ass in a hurricane. The instructor (and check pilot said), that’s easy, “A good pilot follows the rules when s/he knows that no one is looking” I have always taken that to be a rather profound statement.

It’s actually very interesting to see the responses I’m getting via PM and email. On one hand many people are encouraging me to get the story out, and on the other hand people have other opinions.

So here’s how I see it. Initially, I thought, this particular story was a very short story indeed. The instructor left a student behind and she drowned. I didn’t see where there was much to learn from this, but after talking it out and thinking about it, there are many things to be digested from this accident at the granular level.

[Judgment excluded] Should we complete the CESA before OW Dive Three if we’re going to go to sixty feet on next dive?

Should we consider more aggressive buddy-teaming strategies, i.e. holding hands in low viz?

Should we consider more carefully briefing the lost-buddy procedure?

If you think critically about the lost-buddy procedure it’s not always 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt clear if the rule applies during the OW Checkout Dives.

Personally, I see no reason why people should not learn, or take into consideration these learning moments from this accident. If we must all learn from firsthand experience, we're not exactly furthering the sport or the human race.

Regarding Splash, things change over time, you know? The largest change for Splash was the change from one of the co-owners (subject instructor of this thread) going from silent partner [Good Times] to present everyday and unable to shut up [Bad Times]. This was significant; the dynamics shifted, and it was palpable change. I see no reason to debate the ownership or foundation of my opinion, as you’re unlikely to change it with superior grammar, or clever arguments. Please don’t feel deceived by me, I have strong personal opinions, and I shall make no claim this is not the case.

This accident is at the forefront of my thoughts, constantly. I wish someone had broken the accident chain, but that’s not how this turned out. When you teach an OW class, you're the pilot on the flight deck with the door closed. It's really up to you to pull out the checklists, do a proper startup, program the course, and deliver all the passengers safely. Once the wheels are unblocked, the question that remains is are you going to be a good pilot, today?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom