Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Wookie. I think of the Datamax as the old hockey puck, not the modern big rectangular one.

At 2100 psi used in 23 minutes, from an AL80, at an average depth of 25 ft, she was pushing 1.4 cuft/min SAC on average over the 23 minutes. Not a relaxed person.

To get to that SAC rate you're presuming the tank was filled nice and slowly to precisely working pressure. Holiday weekend, hot air off the compressor in the bank(s), perfect fills? No way...

To get to that SAC rate you're presuming the tank was filled nice and slowly to precisely working pressure. Holiday weekend, hot air off the compressor in the bank(s), perfect fills? No way...

What's your point? The SAC is off by 5%? 10%? How about the assumption about an average depth of 25 feet? Does any of that change the conclusion....a very high SAC?

A sac of 1.4 must look a bit like a hose leak. A significant one. Someone must have noticed she was huffing.

I once had an AOW student whose SAC rate was a bit higher--and we did calculate it. I was stunned at how fast he went through air on his first dive of the class. We talked about it and talked about ways to improve it. He did not seem to be stressed at all. He said he felt fine during the dives. When we got to the deep dive, we were looking at his SPG pretty carefully, and we had a very short dive. Unless I were really looking carefully at how often bubbles were coming out of his regulator, I would not have thought anything was amiss.

Fair enough ! Here is a scenario for all instructors (PADI or not ) .OW class, 2-4-6 -8 students -Your choice. Everyone descent and the instructor have a medical problem..... and.... dies (instructors are a human beings as well believed or not :wink: ) So who is supervising now the students !? And what are they gona do about that ..... your imagination may run wild !!!

Who cares? It's all about risk management and professional liability. If I'm dead, the game has ended (wah wah wah) and the risk management and professional liability has reached an end. I don't think anyone will sue the estate because I breached the contract, and if the do, so what?

I used to assist with OW classes in low viz. All of the diving in the local area was low viz so none of the instructors kidded themselves on their ability to supervise more than one or two students on a checkout dive. In the best of conditions (20'-30') a two to one ratio and 4 to 6 students was pretty much the max, and in 5 to 10' viz a one to one ratio and two students was the norm. I also can't recall ever seeing an OW checkout dive where there was not supervision on each end of the line of students swimming somewhere.

Fair enough ! Here is a scenario for all instructors (PADI or not ) .OW class, 2-4-6 -8 students -Your choice. Everyone descent and the instructor have a medical problem..... and.... dies (instructors are a human beings as well believed or not :wink: ) So who is supervising now the students !? And what are they gona do about that ..... your imagination may run wild !!!
What a useless post; it contributes nothing to the discussion.

What a useless post; it contributes nothing to the discussion.

It does the point is that even for a class of 2 OW students at least 2 dive professionals are a must !

It does the point is that even for a class of 2 OW students at least 2 dive professionals are a must !
Nonsense. You made no point at all. Others have made good points -- including the one you claimed you made -- but you said nothing of value. Waste of time and bandwidth. (Why am I even responding to this?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom