• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Accident on Southern Cal Oil Rigs Dive

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by Hatul, Nov 11, 2017.

1. raftingtigger

raftingtigger Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    One trick some SM divers do to tell their regs apart is to put a nick in the mouthpiece. Nick on right side = right reg, left side = left reg. I have not done this myself, but my right reg has no 90 swivel, and my left reg does. Quick sweep of the hand tells me which I am on.

2. Marie13

Marie13 Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    What I’ve done is that short hose is on a necklace and long hose is not.

shoredivr likes this.
  3. sunshower

sunshower DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I think the point at which it all went wrong was on the boat. Not blaming him or the buddy, we've all been there - done a few dives, feeling good, feeling confident, and we gear up and go in for the next dive without doing a proper check. We know better but we cut corners anyway; we're experienced, know what we're doing. This tragedy should be a powerful warning for skipping those checks in the future, even for relatively easy dives in simple configurations. Are hoses routed cleanly? Is the air really on???

My condolences to the diver's family and to his buddy. I've not dived the oil rigs but want to. When the time comes I'll do so with a healthy respect for conditions and remembrance of the deceased diver based on this thread.

Power Scuba, stevensamler and mdb like this.
  4. pepperbelly

pepperbelly Solo Diver

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I don’t use a pony-yet, but a bright yellow mouthpiece on it seems to be a very good idea.

5. Hatul

Hatul Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I also dive with the primary on a short hose and on a necklace, so it’s always in front of my mouth and impossible to confuse with anything else. Some of my dive buddies use the DIR primary on long hose and octo on necklace, which is also an excellent configuration.