Accident on Spiegel Grove today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was diving with Horizon Divers. I decided to go on the shallow dive this morning. When we were pulling in the boat that went to the Spiegel, we saw a diver on a stretcher. He was alert and conscious. Hope the diver will make a full recovery.

Wow, another accident so soon. What's going on lately?

I was there it was said he had symptoms of dcs he told paramedics he made no deco dive ascended at a safe rate and made a safety stop. not sure what was wrong

Thnx for posting

I was diving with Sean on HD's Cheeca View yesterday morning. It is rather sobering to pull up to the dock to see a diver on a stretcher, ambulance flashing lights, etc. I am sure the diver's actual dive profile on his dive computer will be examined.
I was told before I left by one of the staff that he was improving on O2 on the way back to the dock from the dive site.

The moral of the story is that even if you follow your dive computer, when you do multiple deep dives back to back your risk factor increases. Even if we are within the limits of our dive computers, those algorithms are written for the general population and are not specific to our own individual physiology. Diving close to the limits is always a risk.
The second moral of the story, keep your DAN insurance up-to-date. You never know what could happen or when. Be prepared.

Hope he is making a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
How was the current that day? Some days the Spiegel can be a lot of exertion.

Also would be interested to know which dive computer(s) they used. Dove the Speigel with a DM. On the second dive her computer had NDL left and I was running out with the Suunto. I departed a tad early for the ascent line and my Suunto still had me with a 10 minute extra stop on the way up.

NDL varies a lot with the computer especially on second deep dives. On a first deep dive my Aeris and my Suunto will differ only a few minutes. On a second deep dive the Aeris can show up to 15 minutes more NDL at some depths.

Point is that it is not just a question of riding the NDL but what kind of computer you are reading the NDL from. I will confess to riding the NDL sometimes with my Suunto. I never ride the Aeris.

Similar to yours, I also get differences between my Suunto and my Oceanic I use for backup. The Suunto will really shorten your second deep dive when you have not had at least 60 SI.

Happy Diving!
Elena

Back
Top Bottom