Accident Waiting to Happen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Boy

Reaction score
These guys were at a dive site this weekend. They are from a LDS. Notice that four of them are going in without lines! A fifth diver joined up with them who also did not use lines. Look at the mask on the ice....they have their snorkels!!! I have shadded their faces to protect their identity.

Yes there is at least one instructor in the group. How do we get safety accross to some people???????

Did they come back?

IMO, you shouldn't hide their identity. Some poor person may end up taking a class from the shop/instructor and also end up diving under the ice with a snorkel.

Look at it this way...What would the Darwin awards be without people like this!

They all made it back, Thankfully. Hopefully, they dont pass on their bad habbits.

Maybe they carried waterproof portable drills so they could drill snorkel holes in the ice in case they couldn't find the hole on their way back...

It reminds me of the show I saw last night on PBS about these guy's that were diving at the Antarctic. None of them had reels or doubles or any kind of redundancy incase anything went wrong. Thankfully they had a chamber on site because one guy acually got bent. Now I know it was just a tee vee show so you don't always get the whole story, but there where some disturbing things there to say the least.

It's thin enough maybe they thought they could just punch a hole in it anywhere they need on. Or, better yet, maybe it's a drift dive and you just didn't see their exit hole downstream!.

I'm doing some ice diving in a couple of weeks as a specialty course. I'm sending this to my instructor to include as a what not to do when ice diving.

All I've really done so far is read the materail he has on preparation, safety, etc and that's not the visual image of an ice diving site I have in my mind.

Which one is the safety diver?

Which one is the safety diver?
The one with the diamond tipped ice snorkel?

So where is this place? How thick was the ice? Did that guy dive in his jeans and boots?:)

I don't know about diving there but I wouldn't mind drilling a hole and doin' some fishing!

SA

StephenAsh once bubbled....

I don't know about diving there but I wouldn't mind drilling a hole and doin' some fishing!

Stephen, can't you find ice in AZ? I was at Lake Pleasant yesterday. Nice to wear shorts & a T-shirt in January!

You know where that is? Walking back & forth to the docks, I kept thinking...hmmmm.. looks like +/- 10-15 ft vis. Darn, should have brought my gear!:)

There was a dive boat parked on one of the islands. When we sailed by it, i was envious.;-0

But this looks totaly absurd. Even with no training, I'd never consider going down under the ice without some sort of line to define my return.

It's like I tell my non-diving friends......I enjoy diving, but I don't have a death wish!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom