Accident Waiting to Happen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"...The one with the diamond tipped ice snorkel?..."

I think I saw device that at DEMA this year. 5 HP ice auger, Dry Snorkle in one? Yeah, its new from Ocean Master - the people that brought you the GPS snorkle and the Periscope snorkle.

K

raybo once bubbled...

Stephen, can't you find ice in AZ? I was at Lake Pleasant yesterday. Nice to wear shorts & a T-shirt in January!

You know where that is? Walking back & forth to the docks, I kept thinking...hmmmm.. looks like +/- 10-15 ft vis. Darn, should have brought my gear!:)

There was a dive boat parked on one of the islands. When we sailed by it, i was envious.;-0

And I was there this morning...fishing not diving. Wierd!

Today, though, it was a bit nippley. Overcast, a little rain, pretty stiff wind early in the morning.

Water temp 54 surface.

I dive that lake a lot. Vis can run from black water up to 35 feet.

My best was about a year ago...cold January night diving under the floatsom that the wind had blown into the corner of the dam. Squeezed between tumble weeds on the bottom and logs and debris on the surface in no more than 8 feet of water were hundreds of white bass in the 2-3 pound range. I could reach out and grab 'em. If I'd had something to put 'em in I would have brought some home.

Oh, by the way, we do have iced lakes in Arizona...lots of 'em.

SA

Maybe there's a fixed line right under the hole????

StephanAsh once bubbled...

Today, though, it was a bit nippley. Overcast, a little rain, pretty stiff wind early in the morning.

Rain? Lucky you.

We were over for the Birthday Regatta. Winds were a bit flukey for sailing, had a blast, but tired today. We were talking. Couldn't imagine that place on a summer holiday weekend!

I'm a trout fisherman, too. One of the things I hope to get on this ice diving trip is a picture of either a nice Trout or salmon.

Should be a blast.

MASS-Diver once bubble...

Maybe there's a fixed line right under the hole????

Even so....... I don't knooooowwwww....and he said one was an instructor?

Hey raybo what was the name of the dive boat. Few friends of mine were divin there the other day. I did my deep checkout dive in an area there a few weeks ago. It was 54 degrees at 84 feet. We were actually down looking for a lost scuba rig that we found in 3-4 viz, that was alot of fun.

Brian

newdiverAZ once bubbled...
Hey raybo what was the name of the dive boat. Few friends of mine were divin there the other day. I did my deep checkout dive in an area there a few weeks ago. It was 54 degrees at 84 feet. We were actually down looking for a lost scuba rig that we found in 3-4 viz, that was alot of fun.

Brian

One of the local shops dives off of a pontoon boat. I see them there a lot. In fact, it was there this morning...heading up into Humbug. I was freezing and glad to be fishing and not diving. My daughter was recalling our last trip to the Channel Islands...water temp 47.

Ya, we got skunked.

SA

What the F? While I'm certainly NOT a master ice diver, I have taken the class (ugh, but that's another post) and these guys are insane. As a "fun thing" to do, our instructor had us take snorkels (in our pockets) and dive knives. The idea of the exercise was to see how difficult it truly is to break a snorkel hole through the ice. Even though the ice was only a few inches thick, it did take some effort to get a hole through (every time you hit the ice with the knife, you push yourself down in the water). It didn't take long to drive the point home. Please use a guide line (that's tied off to an "immovable" object like a tree) and have a tender for it... Oh yeah, and redundant air supplies aren't a bad idea either! Enough of me for now.

-Frank

newdiverAZ once bubbled...

Didn't see the name. Sorry, I think it may have actually been Saturday about 11:00. It was a pontoon tied up at an island about 1/2 mi north of the north ramp at Pleasant Harbor on the east side of the lake. Looked, but didn't see bubbles, but we were a few hundred yards away, and with the chop fromthe power boats, wouldn't have expected to see any. No one on deck, so eeryone must have been in the water.

Maybe they're all carrying portable underwater GPS units to track their way back to the hole....I've got to get me one of those.

Back
Top Bottom