Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 63 and have been diving since 1974. Currently I teach everything from open water through CCR full trimix and CCR cave. My "real job" is as a cardiologist, but I still manage about 150 dives per year between local cave diving, local ocean diving, and travel.

I'm 63 and have been diving since 1974. Currently I teach everything from open water through CCR full trimix and CCR cave. My "real job" is as a cardiologist, but I still manage about 150 dives per year between local cave diving, local ocean diving, and travel.

There's an old joke in the airline industry about some ex-pilot at a bar saying "I'd still be flying but my Doctor (aviation medical examiner) died".

I'm counting on Doug; he's 11 years younger than me!

Just saw this thread, though I saw the Poll thread and added my response there.

I started diving in 1998 but had neither the time nor the money for much. It wasn't until I was in my 50s that I had time and money to really pursue dive travel and even cave diving. I'm still working on earning the full cave diver certification. Now pushing 60, I wonder how many years I'll be in good enough physical shape to actually cave dive.
I was diving last summer with a gentleman who was 85

I’m just a tad shy of 65. Began swimming before I could talk in complete sentences, and started snorkeling & free diving before I had a full set of teeth. Earned my first SCUBA cert in ’74. Became a DM in ’88, and an instructor in ’90. Only dived sporadicly until the early ’80's, but have been fortunate enough to have dived in the seas off of 6 of the 7 continents over the course of the last 40+ years. Have not provided any instruction since the start of COVID, (and while I remain in teaching status and still retain liability insurance, am content with the possibility that that part of my life may be at an end,) nor have I traveled. My DUI CF200 drysuit has been in a closet for over three years now, but I still use my TLS drysuit suit during the winter months here in Florida.

It is a little disconcerting reading this .

Active Divers over the age of 50​

When you have adult 'children' over 50 [one is a diver, taught at age 12, by me].

51 yo, been diving for 33 years, between 40 and 50 dives each year, Med, Atlantic, abroad, OC, deep air, mixed gaz, CCR (air diluant ; trimix diluant planned next June), hope to go cave diving again soon, after too long a break (family quirks to sort out).

I'm 64 and have been diving since '79 (with a big gap in there while I worked on a career). My diving really sped up a few years ago when I retired. I'm traveling and diving quite a bit lately.

65, female, diving since 2004, 870 dives. Caribbean, Indo-Pacific, Cocos, Socorro, Galapagos, also Lake Michigan wrecks (though not so much lately—I’m finding the work-to-fun ratio for drysuit diving skews the wrong direction more and more)
Raja Ampat later this year, rebooked from 2021.
I plan to keep diving as long as I can, but I’m trying to get the more challenging locations in sooner rather than later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom