Actual Fishy fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeliciousBrownTaste

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just as a sidenote, I have no real idea what I'm talking about, so don't quote me, god forbid...:shakehead:
Currently I have a pair of Avanti fins, which are great and I love 'em, however one time I decided to try a pair of Voit Duck Feet *gasp*. Now I found these, other then the strap, to be a lot easier to control and a lot lighter on the legs (This was when we were first learning and we were always completely negative, I don't want to go into detail but basically we had no pool, all we had was the ocean). But every time I tell someone, they tell me that they're to short for scuba diving and that I'm rediculous for even trying. So I've been wondering, what is too short? Besides that, when I look at any fishes fin, it never looks like my Avantis, but it seems to be a narrow kind of shaft that spreads out to make a V...
So heres my final conclusion. Has anyone ever had the idea to use a single fin that joins the legs together, and creates a wide V shape at the feet? If so who makes them? Thanks

Duck feet not for scuba diving..:rofl3:
According to vintage diving friends of mine they were "the" fin in their day and lots of vintage divers still use them....ahhh want to sell them?? They would go nicely with my Aquamaster.

Voit currently sells Duck Feet new at this time. Also the giant U.D.T. Duck Feet. A manly fin if there ever was one.

I have seen two examples of a large single fin. One was in use by a free diver in Lake Wazee. It was basically a single large V-Shaped blade with two foot pockets attached to the V.

The second was a larger apparatus that did hold the legs together, it was part of a research effort to increase swim speed. It was in an article on CNN several years ago. To my knowledge it is not commercially available yet.

Sorry I don't have any more concrete info, but maybe with some googling on free diving fins you can find it. Good Luck!

Just as a sidenote, I have no real idea what I'm talking about, so don't quote me, god forbid...:shakehead:
Currently I have a pair of Avanti fins, which are great and I love 'em, however one time I decided to try a pair of Voit Duck Feet *gasp*. Now I found these, other then the strap, to be a lot easier to control and a lot lighter on the legs (This was when we were first learning and we were always completely negative, I don't want to go into detail but basically we had no pool, all we had was the ocean). But every time I tell someone, they tell me that they're to short for scuba diving and that I'm rediculous for even trying. So I've been wondering, what is too short? Besides that, when I look at any fishes fin, it never looks like my Avantis, but it seems to be a narrow kind of shaft that spreads out to make a V...
So heres my final conclusion. Has anyone ever had the idea to use a single fin that joins the legs together, and creates a wide V shape at the feet? If so who makes them? Thanks

If you had the muscles set up the way a fish does, the fish shape would make sense. you don't.

Force fin was working on a mono-fin. they have pics on their site.

Single fin with side by side footpocket is called a monofin. If you google "monofin" you will get the websites of manufacturers. Finis competition monofin (their largest model) is widely available through on line swim shops. Most other manufacturers are European. Finswimming is a popular competition sport in much of the world. I swim and teach swimming with a monofin. They are primarily used by breath hold divers, but there is a long distance competitive event where participants breath off a regulator hooked to a small bottle.

Back
Top Bottom