Adding weight to Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom.bresee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have brand new Hog SS backplate + 32lb Hog wing. Majority of time I take about 11-12lbs total of weight. Backplate is 6lbs of weight. I need 3 + 3lbs more. Here's problem: If I wear weight belt, just doesn't seem to work, I keep rotating a bit so end up feet down. I'm trying really hard to weight myself to stay horizontal (practicing for GUE-F).
Ideally I want 3+3 on my back about where my back ribs approximately end, that seems to trim me right. I'm completely new to BP/W, don't know my options. I guess I could keep weight belt and just bind up higher on me, but will restrict lungs a bit, just doesn't work well, slides around.

Looking for any advice about options for weight bound onto my backplate, or whatever possible to keep me horizontal.

Also, something scalable would be nice. Like expandable to add a bit more weight if someday using 5mm. But not absolutely necessary.

XS Scuba makes weight pockets you can slide onto the cambands. I keep two three-pounders on my cambands with my cold water rig. However, that leaves you with no ditchable weight at all, if that matters to you.

Ok, that brings up a question as well:
How much ditchable weight is enough ? Im 6' 3", 250 lbs, usually dive with AL80, what is a minimum amount of ditchable weight one should have ? 6lbs SS backplate, 2 on cam let's say, 2+2 on belt ?

It really depends on your exposure protection. Given the small amount of weight you are carrying, I suspect you are diving with pretty light exposure protection. If so, there isn't much lift you can lose, and the most you can be negative is the weight of the gas in your tank, plus a few pounds of neoprene. At your size, you may well be able to swim up 10 or more pounds, so ditchable weight may not be an issue at all.

Dive rite or Apeks makes ditchable weight pockets that are adaptable to most setups

XS Scuba makes weight pockets you can slide onto the cambands. I keep two three-pounders on my cambands with my cold water rig. However, that leaves you with no ditchable weight at all, if that matters to you.

XS Scuba also makes quick release pockets you can thread onto the harness of your BP/W. Diving dry I need another 24 lbs. 10 goes on top cambands. The other 14 is on my harness where I can dump it in an emergency.

I hate unthreading the buckle, but its a one-time deal.

I personally use the XS Scuba v-weight pouch when I dive a hard backplate, for 13 bucks and a few pounds of lead shot you have a viable solution. It seems like in your situation that the benefit of ditchable weight is minimal, especially if you're working towards a course like fundies. Diving a balanced rig is crucial here.

Ok, so here is what I bought:
Drove to scubatoys, bought XS scuba wt pockets that connect to camband (thanks for idea TSandM), and also quick release version too. So I have those in my hands right now. Also ordered v weight pouch as well. So I don't want to wait around, so don't laugh at this question: I have access to an 8' deep pool down the street, I want to go there and rig all this up, and see how bp/w fits feels weighs, balance wt a bit, BUT I DON'T HAVE A TANK YET. Is there anything wrong or bad or not recommended about going down like 8 feet, with inflator hose not connected to anything ? I would manually fill up wing air and release it while underwater, etc. Won't push inflator button obviously, no tank on my back. I can't sit here and look at this stuff, I need to get out there man. Not good idea ? Get water in hose, not good idea ? If wing goes underwater, without connection to a tank, not good idea ?

there is nothing beyond mentioning that you have access to an 8 foot deep pool in your post that is a good idea. Go rent a tank if you must.

i doubt that you would have a reliable anything with out the tank since the buoyancy of a tank is a large part of your equation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom