Adobe photoshop 6.0 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobagoman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
How do I save an action sequence that I created (as an .atn file) I got a color correction sequence set up for surface tropical water shots that I want to save.
Any help would be appreciated!!

Tobagoman

Tobagoman:
How do I save an action sequence that I created (as an .atn file) I got a color correction sequence set up for surface tropical water shots that I want to save.
Any help would be appreciated!!

Tobagoman
Are you talking about saving the Action itself?
If so:
Click the Create new Action button (see attached)
Name the action.
Click Record
Go through the action steps exactly.
Click the Stop button to add it to your actions list.

If you want to save the sequence for a demonstration either printscreen each step and save them as jpegs as mentioned previously or there are several commercial programs that will allow you to save the screen animation for use in training films etc.

In case you are on a MAC OS pc, the steps are the same aswhat sjspeck has written.

sjspeck:
Are you talking about saving the Action itself?
If so:
Click the Create new Action button (see attached)
Name the action.
Click Record
Go through the action steps exactly.
Click the Stop button to add it to your actions list.

Thanks for the reply. The problem I'm having is that after I finish recording the action, it is there for me to use. But when I close Photoshop and then reopen it, the action is no longer there. I tired a search under Adobe photoshop for *.atn but it did not turn up the action file I created in any of the directories. I must be doing something wrong.

Tobagoman:
Thanks for the reply. The problem I'm having is that after I finish recording the action, it is there for me to use. But when I close Photoshop and then reopen it, the action is no longer there. I tired a search under Adobe photoshop for *.atn but it did not turn up the action file I created in any of the directories. I must be doing something wrong.
I just created an action and then saved it - closed PS. Then I searched my harddisk for it and did not find it. Reopened PS - it's still there. Which led me to believe that it's being stored in the default Actions file and not as a separate .atn. So I went to the Adobe forum and found this which confirmed it:

The contents of the .atn file will be however many actions the Action Set (folder) in your Actions Palette contained. For example if the Action Set had one action in it, the .atn file will contain one action. If the Action Set contained 50 actions, the .atn will contain all of them.
So that must mean that .atn files are only useful when importing new actions. Actually the thread was about someone trying to save an action to e-mail, the solution was to have only the action itself saved in a set to e-mail.

So try this:

Create a new action, then use the Save Actions command to save all your visible actions to a new action file. Then restart PS, Load the new set and see if it's still there. It's possible that for some strange reason your default set won't let you save new actions, maybe it's corrupted or write-protected. While not solving the problem it might be a workaround you could work with.

Warning: Don't click the Reset Actions command unless you want to lose all your custom actions. Make sure you save them in a set before you use reset.

Might also try asking about your problem in the Adobe Support Forums, there's some serious PS users there and the Adobe staff also respond:
http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html

Let me know if this works,

Steve

I'm still struggling with PS, so this post probably isn't going to be much help. FWIW...a similar thing happened to me when I imported a .gif file into PS hoping to resize it. Well, I was able to resize it and save it as a .gif, but the animation wouldn't work. I then switched to Fireworks, which I should have used in the first, and all worked fine.

Symbion:
I'm still struggling with PS, so this post probably isn't going to be much help. FWIW...a similar thing happened to me when I imported a .gif file into PS hoping to resize it. Well, I was able to resize it and save it as a .gif, but the animation wouldn't work. I then switched to Fireworks, which I should have used in the first, and all worked fine.
Photoshop only saves the top frame of an animation.
It should have warned you when you opened the .gif that that would happen.

sjspeck:
I just created an action and then saved it - closed PS. Then I searched my harddisk for it and did not find it. Reopened PS - it's still there. Which led me to believe that it's being stored in the default Actions file and not as a separate .atn. So I went to the Adobe forum and found this which confirmed it:

So that must mean that .atn files are only useful when importing new actions. Actually the thread was about someone trying to save an action to e-mail, the solution was to have only the action itself saved in a set to e-mail.

So try this:

Create a new action, then use the Save Actions command to save all your visible actions to a new action file. Then restart PS, Load the new set and see if it's still there. It's possible that for some strange reason your default set won't let you save new actions, maybe it's corrupted or write-protected. While not solving the problem it might be a workaround you could work with.

Warning: Don't click the Reset Actions command unless you want to lose all your custom actions. Make sure you save them in a set before you use reset.

Might also try asking about your problem in the Adobe Support Forums, there's some serious PS users there and the Adobe staff also respond:
http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html

Let me know if this works,

Steve

That did work. It was still there when I reopened it. I want to transfer the action to my laptop, so I guess if I copy all the action files to it, my custom one will be there. I'll let everyone know if it works.

Thanks for all the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom