Adobe's Lightroom V1.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, it's up and it's ready for free 30 day download.

Who's used it? What do you think so far?

I just opened it this morning and am having a ton of fun with it and really liking a lot of things so far in my playing around. I haven't seriously edited anything as yet, just working the sliders and options mostly.

I've tried a few of the beta versions. And I really, really hope that v1.0 is much faster than the betas. Even on my brand new Core2Duo with 2Gb of RAM, Lightroom (beta) was the first program I installed after the operating system, and it was slow as a dog with only a couple of hundred photos.

I'm a paid up user of Raw Shooter Premium, and I have just obtained my serial number changeover for Adobe Lightroom 1.0, so will hopefully have a play with it over the next few days to see if its any better. Thus far, I've much preferred the Raw Shooter interface, and am yet to be convinced that what Adobe have done with it is an improvement.

alcina:
OK, it's up and it's ready for free 30 day download.

Who's used it? What do you think so far?

I just opened it this morning and am having a ton of fun with it and really liking a lot of things so far in my playing around. I haven't seriously edited anything as yet, just working the sliders and options mostly.
\

I'm so tempted to download it!
Even went as so far to read an exhaustive review of it over on Arstechnica.

But honestly CS2 and adobe bridge are almost information overload for me now.

Anyway from what i've read and seen it does look good, i'm tempted to download it.
I'm really impressed with the new curves and b&w functions, this would work really well on my topside shots.....

I'm curious to what everyone else thinks of this, do you guys see this as a Photoshop replacement??

Rest assured this version is very different to the Betas - I haven't crashed or locked up once yet and it's definitely light years faster. So at least that's something LOL

What have you got to lose, Jam? Might as well...it's free for 30 days :wink: I don't think this is meant to replace Photoshop, but to work with it?

Well alcina,
I installed v1.0 and it definately is a lot faster than the betas were. Took a few pics at a friends wedding and processed a handful of them last night. From the couple of hours I spent with it last night, it seems to have taken the good bits from Adobe Album (catalogue), Picasa (searching) and Rawshooter (processing) and put them together nicely.

Cool...I still haven't found time to really do more than mess with the sliders, but so far I like it. I haven't used anything other than ACR before so I'm very interested to hear what people are thinking about the various RAW converters...

If you get bored and want to do creative things with wedding photos, I have a lot :wink:

I tried out the beta of lightroom and think it is great, reasonably priced, software for the photographer who wants to organize photographs and apply a wide variety image adjustments. I just told my sister, who recently upgaded to a digital slr, to buy the program.

A few comments from my perspective. Lightroom is not a replacement for Photoshop (nor was intended to be). If you need to create layers, masks, or use repair tools to manipulate your image, then Lightroom will not get you what you want.

Lightroom does not get me as far as I want to go in color adjustment or correction of many UW images. Photoshop's ability to work in channels, ability to make paths and selections, and greater variety of tools are necessary IMO if you do a lot of work on UW images.

Many of the new and exciting Lightroom tools will be available in CS3 and the new ACR and Bridge when Adobe releases CS3 this spring. I have developed speed and a workflow in ACR that I could not duplicate in Lightroom (although in fairness the beta version was a lot slower than how you have described the final product). Also, Bridge serves my needs and I would not be using the extra power of Lightroom in this area.

My decision will be to take a pass on Lightroom and upgrade to CS3 when Adobe releases it.

Just MHO.

---Bob

Back
Top Bottom