Advanced Open Water Course Costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My local dive shop charges 320.00 plus tanks and lodging. I plan to finally take my AOW soon and after everything, travel and expenses it will cost me around $600.00. My LDS is very reputable and safe, and this should be your primary concern over price as you stated.

My LDS is very reputable and safe, and this should be your primary concern over price as you stated.

Really??

Explain why this diver "should" make "reputable and safe" a priority over "less expensive"?

When I first started diving regularly, I bought some of my life support gear off of Ebay, using price as the main factor, and didn't service it as often as was recommended. Those annual regulator inspections get costly! I got through those early years with no problem, but now I place a priority on my life and my safety over a few bucks.

That doesn't mean another diver "should" do the same. Everyone has their own priorities, and we are not in a position to judge their own personal choices.

Call TJ at Dayo Scuba on Executive Drive just off Lee Road, Winter Park. He makes most of his money on training, and does enough of it that he does not have to soak anyone. Most important, he is a good instructor. He's the one I trusted my teenager to.

And, they are right next door to the Scubaboard Executive office and server building.

Tell him Stu sent you. Look him up at:

http://www.scubadiver.cc/

Last edited:
Resortdiver touched on something important; advertised prices are not always equal.

The lowest advertised price often is not the actual price. Books may be extra, rental gear may be extra, boat trips may be extra, taking more than two days may be extra, semi-private may be extra (just you and your son).

Location is also in the equation; some might take you to the deck of the Duane for the Deep Dive, others might just use the deep mooring on Molasses. If they are taking you to the deck of the Duane, ask to see their permission form from PADI (each instructor should have one for that dive).

Finally, there are not really any shore dives off Key largo so if there is not three boat trips involved I would ask many questions. :idk:

Really??
That doesn't mean another diver "should" do the same. Everyone has their own priorities, and we are not in a position to judge their own personal choices.

If you would have read the OP, you would not have missed this statement. Therefore I did not judge her own personal choice.

However, and without question, quality instruction is of course also critical for me.

If you would have read the OP, you would not have missed this statement. Therefore I did not judge her own personal choice.

I missed it the first time through, that's what I get for skimming.

You are correct, please accept my humble apologies.

Ah, you just need to go see a good eye doctor.(lol-how many times have we heard that one).......

Last edited:

No punt taken, it is just IMO an important factor when choosing a dive shop for training. There are some outfits that do have quality instruction and charge little and there can be non quality shops that charge little. This also can apply to shops that charge allot. In my experience you get what you pay for. The truth of the matter is if you are happy with the service and training(Safety) of an outfit, than I would stick them no matter what they charged. It is better than paying a cheaper price because your on a budget and be dissatisfied with the service you got and then have to return to your original outfit and wind up paying the higher price anyway. You only live once and in my profession safety has no cost. I would also look at reviews of the operation and if they were highly recommended, then by all means use the cheaper price.

No punt taken, it is just IMO an important factor when choosing a dive shop for training. There are some outfits that do have quality instruction and charge little and there can be non quality shops that charge little. This also can apply to shops that charge allot. In my experience you get what you pay for. The truth of the matter is if you are happy with the service and training(Safety) of an outfit, than I would stick them no matter what they charged. It is better than paying a cheaper price because your on a budget and be dissatisfied with the service you got and then have to return to your original outfit and wind up paying the higher price anyway. You only live once and in my profession safety has no cost. I would also look at reviews of the operation and if they were highly recommended, then by all means use the cheaper price.

Exactly right..You get what you pay for usually..
For those that did not get anything out of their advance class and think it was useless,your instructor most likely did not put any effort into it or you did not put any effort into it.
Required navigation dive;did you learn different methods of measuring distance underwater? How many kick cycles to cover a measured distance,time it takes to cover same measured distance, keep track of air used to cover that distance so that you have an idea of what your air consumption is for that time? Did you learn natural navigation along with compass navigation? Do some patterns and understood it?
Deep dive; did you learn how to plan out the dive correctly and stick to that plan? Was your buoyancy skill checked at depth? Able to stay clear of the bottom during descent as to keep from disturbing any silt? Was your ascent rate correct and you understood importance why?Able to stop ascent at any time easily during return to surface?
I can go on about what other skills you can learn,depends on what electives were completed. If the advance course you took was just "lets make a dive under supervision and I'll check off your log book" then you had a improper course.
As to cost if using a boat that adds immensely to the cost of the course.
In NY at a quarry the advance course at the LDS I currently teach out of is $189.+ books,rentals,entry fee to quarry etc..
If done on a boat the cost is easily $180.-$225. more over the $189. cost.

Back
Top Bottom