Advanced recreational training - world beyond PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theriel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been recently wondering: what are the limits and possibilities (as far as the formal courses are concerned) of recreational diving.

For this purpose I decided (maybe a bit controversially, yet pragmatically) to define recreational diving as any diving which can be reasonably and safely done using one cylinder. This way my doubts can be rephrased as: how far can one pursue her education, before having to spend lots of money on totally new equipment.

I have read a couple of very interesting topics here and there. Thank you for that!

I know that PADI generally limits recreational diving at the level of Rescue course + specialities.

Looking at other organisations (with which I must admit I am not really familiar - so please forgive me mistakes!), I have come across:
-GUE-F / UTD-ess
-NAUI Master Diver
-PSAI Narcosis Management Level 1 & 2
-TDI Cavern, Intro Cave
-SDI Solo Diver
-CMAS 3*
-[No Rec Trimix training available without doubles? (e.g. GUE, UTD)].

Is there anything else? I would be grateful if you could make suggestions based on the diving organisations you know! PADI might be the most popular, but I bet (and have already managed to see) that other organisations have something more to add!

P.S. I am asking more because of curiosity and willingness to see what non-PADI possibilities are (as I don't really know other organisations), rather than trying to make a list of courses to take next summer :wink:.

Last edited:
The possibilites are limited only unto your mind ... go forth and dive, Young Tadpole!

The Kraken

The Kraken probably has it right. Get a bunch of dives under different conditions under your belt -- find a mentor or two -- Dive.

My experience is that IF you want a class which will help you be a "better diver" you need to do one of the numerous "Introduction To Technical Diving" classes that are offered -- and that you have identified. The real difference between the Intro to Tech type classes and what you have probably already taken is that the Intro to Tech classes, generally, have much higher standards. I call it the Two P's -- Planning and Precision.

You just have more, and better, planning and precision in Technical diving -- AS A GENERAL RULE.

I think your best next move is GUE-f/UTD-ess, that'll square away your basic water skills.

My next move with be NAUI Master Diver, but here you need to be very careful about selecting the instructor, that will fill any knowledge gaps that might exist.

After that, go where your interests lead you.

Thank you a lot for your replies!

As I stated - I am not looking for the answer to the question "what to do next", as for the next 1-2 years I have already full schedule, mostly involving what The Kraken suggested :]. But, with this thread, I am just trying to see what the possibilities are: one can easily get lost among so many organisations.

I will keep updating my first post - maybe somebody will find it useful in future.

I see in your profile...location: London...where?

If England, I would suggest that you find a really active branch of BSAC (British Sub Aqua Club), then you wouldn't have a shortage of mentors and dive buddies. Their highest diving level is '1st class Diver', and the course is a real toughie.

And of course, there is a social side.

You can do Intro to Cave on a single cylinder with a Y-Valve correct? It used to be that way. That opens up alot of possibilities. However, money for lights, reels, etc can add up quick.

Depending on the instructor UTD R3 (rec helitrox) can be done in big single tanks. Great class, I highly recommend it.

There is another definition you might consider which may shift some of your thinking. Some people define recreational diving as diving in which the surface is available in the event of a serious emergency. In diving that is not recreational, there is some sort of "ceiling" in the way. It could be the roof of a cave, the deck of a ship, or a real need for a decompression stop (as opposed to a safety stop).

If you look at the accidents section, you will see an example of what I mean. Although exactly what happened is not quite clear, divers who were used to diving single AL 80 tanks until they were very low on air and the ascending (yes, that was the dive plan) decided to get bigger tanks. They did a dive on 119's (still one tank), thus getting at least 50% more bottom time without the training they needed for proper decompression. One of them is now a quadriplegic.

I wouldn't think of Intro to Cave as being a recreational course, while you are allowed to take it in a single tank, I would recommend it be done in doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom