Advanced recreational training - world beyond PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't think of Intro to Cave as being a recreational course, while you are allowed to take it in a single tank, I would recommend it be done in doubles.

I agree. For me, the hard ceiling and possibility of getting lost in darkness takes it out of the recreational realm.

boulderjohn -- Do you take Cavern out of the "recreational" area too? Me, I'd put Cavern in the "tecreational" area and Intro into Technical. But what do I know?:wink:

I wouldn't think of Intro to Cave as being a recreational course, while you are allowed to take it in a single tank, I would recommend it be done in doubles.

I'll third this motion, intro was the best class I've taken, but don't repeat my mistake, get good experience in doubles first.....

Both GUE and UTD have a full recreational curriculum, up to and including light trimix and a little bit of deco. The Rec 1 through Rec 3 sequence from either agency will build a solid recreational diver with good buoyancy and trim, a full toolbox of kicks, the ability to hold a stop and shoot a bag and to solve problems and communicate effectively underwater.

The holes are navigation and rescue skills (a little bit of which are included in both sequences), and specific classes for those two things would round out a really good recreational diving education. A wreck workshop with some introduction to line work would enhance things, too.

Cavern and Intro to Tech lie in that "techreational" grey zone. I personally do not believe that there is a bright line between recreational and technical diving. I think the desirability of solving problems underwater increases as you go deeper or begin to explore overheads, and classes should be (and for the most part, are) focused on building those skills in divers, as the dives become more challenging.

I know IANTD offers a recreational curriculum, but I simply know of it, not how it differs necessarily from any other agency's recreational scuba training.

Also, SEI offers an Advanced Open Water diver curricula that is beyond the normal AOW, from what I hear. You can PM Jim Lapenta here on SB for more info, or check out their website if you wish. I don't know if they have any instructors in England, you would have to check on that.

Just putting other names out there.

Peace,
Greg

There are also a number of 'side' trainings aiming to allow to extend the goals of a dive rather than depth/duration/exposure:
  • photo and video
  • ReefCheck
  • teaching/mentoring (CMAS****, instructor)
  • etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom