Advanced Scuba cert questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

License to learn is a good way to look at it. AOW is kinda of an advanced learning permit. I have a divemaster learning permit.

The big three agencies NAUI, PADI and SSI are all considered to have similiar standards when it comes to diver training. Look at what is required on paper for anything they offer and compare to the other's offering and they pretty well mirror each other. The instructor is the big decider in terms of quality of instruction and experience.

But lets not forget other people as well. The other folk in the class with you. After you get out of OW and do further training you are now in a group of people that have gone beyond the I want to dive at my sun vacation destination or what's next on the bucket list to those that share your passion for diving. Its like playing volleyball in gym class and then playing volleyball that night with the school team.

In your life it pays to invest in the things that you enjoy, what you love deserves your time.

halemanō;5739884:
How many days does it take to become an AOW diver (with any agency) and log a total of 30 dives? Take that answer and add 25 days to get the total days required to become a NAUI Instructor and beyond, from never dived before status. :idk:

Also, a new NAUI Instructor is allowed to teach most (if not all) Specialties, with no additional training or experience.

In comparison, PADI requires the prospective instructor candidate to have been a certified diver for a minimum of 6 months before starting the IDC, and instead of NAUI's minimum 60 dives PADI requires a minimum of 100 dives.

That new PADI instructor would have to receive further training from a CD &/or show/claim further experience (more dives), for each Specialty they are allowed to teach. (and unfortunately pay a fee for each additional Specialty they are allowed to teach :shakehead:)

You have a bad taste in your mouth about NAUI because you have stressed in the past about the 1 NAUI outfit on the Island that sucks. I will take your word for that that that NAUI outfit sucks. Not all are great.

Before, you were in the KEYS and did your IDC in a few months right. Well as you know the Keys is like 90% PADI. I have heard the way some of the outfits talk about NAUI guys but hey that is business pisspoor but still the same. You have the wrong impression about NAUI as a whole.

Find one NAUI CD that will train and Instructor with a total 60 dives (loged or not logged). From my understanding you have to have those specialties to be able to teach them. You dont need them but you can't teach them if you dont have them. That is what I was told by both my NAUI Instructors.

Maybe there harder on the Instructors here because this is the Dive capitol of the US and or maybe because NAUI's headcorters is here too I dont know.

I dont know about PADI's IDC but still 100 dives is not that much when you are training people in my opinion.

I am a NAUI diver and I will stay with NAUI it is nothing against PADI I just dont think they are for me.

LOL--PADI's used to be(in the later 90's anyway) 125 minimum before you could get your DMs...But, kinda like everything else-------just keeps getting crappier.............

That is some hard up or stupid people running those agencies....EDIT:-OR BOTH, lol

LOL--PADI's used to be(in the later 90's anyway) 125 minimum before you could get your DMs...But, kinda like everything else-------just keeps getting crappier.............

That is some hard up or stupid people running those agencies....EDIT:-OR BOTH, lol

We can see the 'demand' for that dumbing down of standards and requirements often enough here on SB. It's a consumer (diver) driven slide.

Find one NAUI CD that will train and Instructor with a total 60 dives (loged or not logged).
NAUI instructors don't count dives. There's a minimum set by the agency that's (in my opinion) abysmally low. But in the end it's irrelevent, because the criteria for becoming a DM is "demonstration quality skills" ... and your instructor isn't supposed to pass you until you can meet that criteria. The criteria for becoming an instructor is what's known as the "loved one standard" ... which means that your evaluators are supposed to ask themselves if they would trust someone they love to take a class from you. If, for any reason, the answer is no, then you don't pass ... no matter how many dives you have or what you did previously during your training.

There's some subjectivity in these standards ... but if the evaluators are taking their job seriously then the standards are more than reasonable.

It can be a strength or weakness of the NAUI system, depending on the attitude of the evaluators. But the major difference between PADI and NAUI is that the former relies on standardization while the latter relies on subjectivity. In other words, NAUI prefers to take the approach that their instructors know their students better than some agency personnel at HQ does, and won't pass them unless they can trust them to dive at the level at which they're being trained. In the NAUI program, you can fail someone for an unsafe attitude. In the PADI program, if they meet the minimal skills criteria, you MUST pass them.

Again, both of those systems have benefits and drawbacks ... it entirely depends on the attitude of the person(s) teaching the class.

From my understanding you have to have those specialties to be able to teach them. You dont need them but you can't teach them if you dont have them. That is what I was told by both my NAUI Instructors.
No ... you don't. I never took a drysuit class ... and yet I teach one. I never took a deep specialty ... and yet I teach one.

What NAUI does ... once again ... is assume that their instructors are responsible enough to only train people on topics that they are qualified to train them on. My qualifications for teaching a drysuit class stem from a couple thousand dives in one. My qualifications for teaching a deep class stem from higher-level training that qualifies me to depths well beyond recreational levels.

There are a few specialties that NAUI requires the instructor to have specific training in ... Nitrox, for example ... but for the most part, what they want to know isn't that you have a c-card on that subject, but that you're adequately experienced in the topic to be able to teach it.

Maybe there harder on the Instructors here because this is the Dive capitol of the US and or maybe because NAUI's headcorters is here too I dont know.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that ... the job of the CD is to make sure you can train divers effectively for the conditions in which they were trained. There are some nuances that we have to worry about here in Puget Sound that you don't in Florida ... and vice versa. But otherwise, location has little to do with how hard a CD will make an instructor's training.

I dont know about PADI's IDC but still 100 dives is not that much when you are training people in my opinion.
Particularly with the practice I've seen of people doing simple, short dives just to get their "numbers" up. This is among the reasons why a more subjective criteria ... like demonstration-quality skills ... can be more meaningful. On the other hand, I think PADI also uses a similar criteria ... they just have their own definition of what it means.

I am a NAUI diver and I will stay with NAUI it is nothing against PADI I just dont think they are for me.
As stated previously ... I'm proud of my association with NAUI ... it allows me to train at a level that I feel is appropriate for our local environment without compromising my standards. But, frankly, I know some kick-ass PADI instructors locally too ... they've found a way to train within the standards of their organization that allow them to offer a high-quality product to their students.

All that really tells me is that the attitude of the instructor teaching the class matters far more than the acronym that's printed on the card.

It's far more important to choose the right instructor than the "right" agency ... that's how I ended up with c-cards from a half-dozen agencies. I looked for instructors who had the credentials that were important to me ... and the agency they taught for was incidental ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You have a bad taste in your mouth about NAUI because you have stressed in the past about the 1 NAUI outfit on the Island that sucks. I will take your word for that that that NAUI outfit sucks. Not all are great.

Before, you were in the KEYS and did your IDC in a few months right. Well as you know the Keys is like 90% PADI. I have heard the way some of the outfits talk about NAUI guys but hey that is business pisspoor but still the same. You have the wrong impression about NAUI as a whole.

Find one NAUI CD that will train and Instructor with a total 60 dives (loged or not logged). From my understanding you have to have those specialties to be able to teach them. You dont need them but you can't teach them if you dont have them. That is what I was told by both my NAUI Instructors.

I have been pretty consistent for YEARS hear on SB; the bad tastes in my mouth stem from sloppy, unsupported and ignorant TYPING!

Take the above quote:

Please quote me where I typed that the 1 NAUI "outfit" on Maui sucks :confused:

Please quote where I have made any mention of NAUI with regards to my time in the Keys :confused:

Please quote where I have expressed my "impression about NAUI as a whole" :confused:

From my understanding you have to have those specialties to be able to teach them. You dont need them but you can't teach them if you dont have them. That is what I was told by both my NAUI Instructors.

Looking back over the past couple months; what you seem to consider "understanding" does not seem to follow the definition of "understanding" as it was taught to me. :shakehead:

Ok..... I am probably the least experienced person here so take it for what it is. This is just my 2¢. Forget get about all the certifications for now. Just get your OW cert then spend your money on some gear, buy gas and go dive. Get your self sorted out in the water first. Become comfortable dive/learn, dive/learn, and so on until you have developed some control in the water. By then you will have been on scuba board every day learning along with learning in the water and you will find the path that is correct for you. I guarantee you that any ideas about diving you have now will be different 5, 10, 15 dives later.

Well all right, another PADI vs NAUI smackdown!

:D:popcorn::D

I am guessing that NAUI and PADI are the same (along with most other agencies) in that they direct their instructors to complete a pre-assessment of students prior to training? People often forget that.

Maybe because the NAUI system is more subjective, it encourages their instructors to perform a more critical pre-assessment. In contrast, some PADI instructors often neglect this - and place too much reliance on the 'tick list' course prerequisites?

halemanō;5740552:
I have been pretty consistent for YEARS hear on SB; the bad tastes in my mouth stem from sloppy, unsupported and ignorant TYPING!

Take the above quote:

Please quote me where I typed that the 1 NAUI "outfit" on Maui sucks :confused:

Please quote where I have made any mention of NAUI with regards to my time in the Keys :confused:

Please quote where I have expressed my "impression about NAUI as a whole" :confused:

Looking back over the past couple months; what you seem to consider "understanding" does not seem to follow the definition of "understanding" as it was taught to me. :shakehead:

You said it in a past thread I read about. You were talking about how the 1 NAUI outfits was not up to your standards. A fellow NAUI member made a comment about coming to the island and starting a GOOD successful NAUI based operation then you jumped all over him like you do everybody. I dont have time to search through old threads because I do things like DIVE (put down the keyboard and try it):shocked2:

I never said you mentioned about NAUI when you were in the Keys. I said "some of the outfits" Can you read?? I before E except after C :mooner:

"NAUI as a whole" Look at any thread you are in that is on the topic. You dont seem to care for NAUI all that much.

Now Now Halemano you know "Quotes" are not enough for you. You want links,scientific studies,forensic evidence,court documents, and letters from god to prove anything YOU dont think is right...:mooner:

As far as the "Understanding" comment everyday I am not like you is a good day.

Back
Top Bottom