Advantages to Imperial units

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting to learn that the Brits came to the States introduced their weird Imperial units (feet, pounds, Fahrenheit, etc.), went home, converted their own to SI units & left us confused. Thanks!

mwahahaha...so our cunning plan worked then.

No wonder the evil characters in Hollywood are always Brits, it all stems from this :wink:

How do you express the rule of thirds in metric? Personally, I prefer fractions and the Imperial system for many reasons, including the aesthetic factor. As a general rule, whichever system provides instantaneous contextual understanding is the system that diver should use.

Even back then, the people that put men on the moon didn't use imperial units to do it. Your post is still worth a chuckle.

Actually, they used a weird combination of SI and imperial, and the flight computer was programmed in SI but accepted Imperial inputs. Here's a good read on it: Apollo 11 and Other Screw-Ups

And the shuttle used primarily imperial units. It's super weird the way they did things back then.

And the proper response is, "Liberia went to the moon?!"

mwahahaha...so our cunning plan worked then.

No wonder the evil characters in Hollywood are always Brits, it all stems from this :wink:
It's even worse than that.

Here is a typical recipe I pulled from a BBC site: Herby toad in the hole

I wasn't aware that teaspoons and tablespoons were metric :rofl3:

It's interesting to learn that the Brits came to the States introduced their weird Imperial units (feet, pounds, Fahrenheit, etc.), went home, converted their own to SI units & left us confused. Thanks!

When I was teaching physics, I was surprised that the kids MUCH preferred SI units to Imperial ones. I guess they just didn't have much experience with the Imperial units, so they were ready and willing to take the easier SI system.

- Bill

It's even worse than that.

Here is a typical recipe I pulled from a BBC site: Herby toad in the hole

I wasn't aware that teaspoons and tablespoons were metric :rofl3:

Erm yeah, 10 tsp = 1 tbsp :p

As I said in my earlier post, things are pretty messed up here, we use imperial and SI which can get confusing ... personally I prefer both!!

....that toad in the hole pic's just made me friggin hungry! Gotta love a giant Yorkie with bangers in it! :D

Here in the USA we are a bilingual society speaking both. Some people may think they don't but their medications are almost always in metric. The size of their vehicle engines is in metric most of the time. Their tires are mixed. They are buying 2 liter bottles of pop and 12 oz. cans. In the mechanic business we deal with both all day long. Anybody who thinks metric is simpler should try o-rings in metric. I stock every size of Buna-n o-ring up to fairly large. If I tried that in metric o-rings I wouldn't have enough space in my shop. I have Chinese lathes that are copies of American lathes and some parts are in inches and some in metric and some in metric equivalent of inch measurements.

Here in the USA we are a bilingual society speaking both. Some people may think they don't but their medications are almost always in metric. The size of their vehicle engines is in metric most of the time. Their tires are mixed. They are buying 2 liter bottles of pop and 12 oz. cans. In the mechanic business we deal with both all day long. Anybody who thinks metric is simpler should try o-rings in metric. I stock every size of Buna-n o-ring up to fairly large. If I tried that in metric o-rings I wouldn't have enough space in my shop. I have Chinese lathes that are copies of American lathes and some parts are in inches and some in metric and some in metric equivalent of inch measurements.

Jeeeez...what a mess.

FWIW there was a Republican Presidential candidate in '16 who had, as one of his planks, that the US go to the metric system. He was laughed out of town by a more serious candidate...uhhh....mmmm....ahhhhh...errrr...

- Bill

British units are bilingual.

3ft +/- 5mm

Joking aside, we still sell timber in imperial units - except they are all converted to metric 3x3" timber (75x75), etc. Carpenters basically still work in imperial.

We measure distance, in miles, we quote miles per gallon, even though we buy petrol (gas) in litres.

It is very age dependent, for years I struggled with metric weight. I only thought in imperial weight. Measure small dimensions in mm, use feet and meters without thinking, dependent on the relative size of the dimension.

In truth, metric is a far easier system to use than imperial.

Remember the huddle telescope had a problem because one group of engineers where working in imperial, and another in metric - they had to fit it with glasses after it was in orbit!.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom