Advantages to Imperial units

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have wondered how you signal remaining gas in psi units, I'm now getting an idea. It'll be interesting if/when I get to dive stateside, could get confusing! Another advantage of metric, although still not as efficient as Jeffs (until you get down to 50bar) :cheers:

DM in Galápagos gave a briefing & telling us to signal with fist on chest when we reached 50 bar or 1000 psi. I told him: "I wish my SPG were displayed in bar. You just short change my dive time". He gave me a puzzling look.

In the end it didn't make much of a difference. My SAC is about 0.4-0.5 CFM. He started sending those air-hog divers to the surface 2 at a time. He & I were last to surface in most of the time.

Last edited:
I'm going to invent my own scuba units. I'm going to call them Jeffs

My group has been using a Jeff-like unit of measure for a while now, as a mental backup for SPG readings. We consider our twinsets as "x-bar tanks", based on their volume and our individual RMV/SAC. Basically, my D12 (similar to twin HP100) is my "4-bar tank", meaning that in a 5-minute interval on the surface I use 4 bars. This corresponds to 19 lpm/0.67 cfpm and has an intrinsic conservatism of about 15%. Now this means that all I need to calculate my consumed gas in real time is to look at my bottom timer. 20 min at average depth of 25 m gives (4 five-minute segments) * (3.5 ATA) * (4 bars per segment) = 56 bars. If I see a large discrepancy between this calculation and my SPG reading I reevaluate the dive and make adjustments (have a team member do a bubble check for me, slow down, check breathing pattern, add gas to suit to get warmer, change dive plan).

(BTW a three-Jeff system is a keystone of cave diving, isn't it?) :)

Last edited:
Just remember, there are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, and those that have put man on the moon......
Even back then, the people that put men on the moon didn't use imperial units to do it. Your post is still worth a chuckle.

Because ordering half a litre of beer just isn't the same! At least you get to order a litre of beer in Germany, I suppose...

I'm pretty sure you cant get a decent IPA in Germany though!

Last edited:
It's interesting to learn that the Brits came to the States introduced their weird Imperial units (feet, pounds, Fahrenheit, etc.), went home, converted their own to SI units & left us confused. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom