Advice changing out SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocoajoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Purchased brass SPG to replace current plastic, should arrive Tuesday. But the things is, I've never changed out hoses/guages before.
I've reseached but haven't found much info. Torque seems to be a little more than hand tight? How about lube?

thanks in advance

Be generous with the lube. The spool is a dynamic connection. So don't skimp on the lube. If not using it with high O2 any dive shop should have little packets of silicone lube. If you plan to use for a deco reg then Christo lube or Tribolube.Torque is indeed not much. Maybe 35-40 inch pounds. Not foot lbs. Inch pounds which is snugged up by hand till tight then give it a nudge more with a small wrench.

Purchased brass SPG to replace current plastic, should arrive Tuesday. But the things is, I've never changed out hoses/guages before.
I've reseached but haven't found much info. Torque seems to be a little more than hand tight? How about lube?

thanks in advance

Make sure the wrench fits the nut!. Hold the regulator in one hand and turn the wrench on the hose end counter-clockwise to loosen from the perspective of facing the regulator port. Hold regulator up, dangle the hose, twist (CC) and remove, coverup hose end and put away. Clean port area with a soft dry cloth. Look for corrosion and deposits, do not get lint or debris into the port opening.

Replacement hose - if not new, remove o-ring, clean threads with a soft dry cloth, replace o-ring and lubricate. If new, remove hose end cover and inspect threads and o-ring for damage or debris, lubricate. I suggest you use Christ-o-Lube as lubricant.

Hold the regulator up, dangle the hose and screw it into the port in a clockwise direction from the perspective of facing the regulator port, when hand tight, hold the regulator in one hand and tighten the nut until it compresses the o-ring and bottoms on the port face gently. The o-ring makes the seal not the threads, so just tight enough to not be able to remove it by hand or twisting the hose is tight enough.

It is the function of technical writers to make it look more difficult than it is, to soften the realization that the task was no more difficult than filling up a pepper mill/grinder, and still get paid for writing the procedure.

Keep lube away from SPG pinhole. Threads only. Hand tight, then another 1/8 snug down.

The fittings are brass and can be rounded off of you use a crescent wrench improperly. It's more of an issue of someone tightened it too much and you have to break it loose. Use 2 wrenches and go slow, its very simple. Use regular wrenches if you have the right size. The spool as Jim mentioned holds the o-rings for the SPG to swivel on. It's also the point that will wear out first and start to leak on you, always in the middle of you big dive trip. I have seen some come preassembled, with little or no lube. Your new SPG may come with a boot, I tossed my away but some people like them along with hose protectors.

He is not replacing the hose, just the SPG. And 1st stage fittings do not require lube. Unless it's a slight sheen on the oring. Maybe put a drop on the thumb, roll the index finger over it, then roll the oring for a second. Unless it looks dry I don't even put lube on them. No need to as they are static and the mfg process leaves enough on just to install the hose on the 1st stage. The HP spool orings though get a good coating. And yeah, not in the hole.

He is not replacing the hose, just the SPG. And 1st stage fittings do not require lube. Unless it's a slight sheen on the oring. Maybe put a drop on the thumb, roll the index finger over it, then roll the oring for a second. Unless it looks dry I don't even put lube on them. No need to as they are static and the mfg process leaves enough on just to install the hose on the 1st stage. The HP spool orings though get a good coating. And yeah, not in the hole.

I guess I should clarify. I ordered new SPG with a hose. So, in a way, I am replacing hose. I do plan to use the old SPG on another backup reg tho. So?

I guess I should clarify. I ordered new SPG with a hose. So, in a way, I am replacing hose. I do plan to use the old SPG on another backup reg tho. So?

My assumption was that he was buying the gauge - hose included. In many cases that is about the same money as just the gauge and you have a new hose too. Many new setups are hard molded at the spool end to the gauge and you pitch it as a unit. As for hose end lube... I just spit on em', to reduce the friction between the o-ring and port face, but you can't say that to most folks. I know for a fact that my spit is Oxygen compatible, I can breath 100% without blowing up my face.

Unless you requested it to be done they will usually not come assembled. Not a brass and glass set up. And hoses are never molded to the spg. They may have a mud and muck trapping molded boot around them but they are two separate pieces.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom