Advice for 1st Time to Scuba Club Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Zimmerly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We will be going back to Coz for our fourth time, but this time I will be staying at the Scuba Club for a week by myself (18-25 Oct), then the girlfriend will be coming down where we will then stay at the Palace for a week (25 Oct -1 Nov)

Having stayed at the Palace last year we know what to expect. Any advise about the Scuba Club would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

29 days to Coz

Hi Dave

I've been to SCC twice. Most recently last year during Wilma. My understanding is they have done an amazing job rebuilding not only SCC but also many other parts of the island.

SCC has great food (IMO) and is located south of town just far enough to be away from the crowds but not too far to walk. Just right for me. The dive operation isn't as nice as some places (like Cocoview on Roatan) but it's not that bad. Lockers are available as are rinse tanks.

Getting Nitrox isn't very easy because you have to order it the day before. Since you don't always know the dive sites a day in advance it's tough to know what to get. You can check out tanks any time the shop is open and do shore dives. The shore diving before Wilma was marginal compared to other places I've been. I snorkled offshore a couple days after Wilma and there was NOTHING there. The bottom looked like a concrete parking lot. Wiped clean by the wrath of God as it were.

The boats are slow but fairly comfortable. I've always found the staff very friendly. It seems that most of the rooms are unique. I've been in about 25 of the rooms and they all were at least a little different. Some are very different. The pool is fair. Nothing fancy. The upstairs restaurant is more formal than most places I've been on dive trips but you can wear shorts and tank tops. The waiters wear nice white clothes and serve the meals (no buffet except breakfast).

For security there is a guard at the front gate. Makes you feel secure but I've never felt insecure on Cozumel anyway. Nice touch though.

Well, I'm rambling and I'm tired. You will LOVE SCC.

SCC= diver paradise-dive,eat,sleep(or relax on hamac(sp) ),dive,eat,sleep, etc..:D
I was down there the same time as JLyle(hi Jim).

Just got back from our first trip to Scuba Club. Food is great! Nice variety for dinner. Lunch has Mexican and American selections.

Great shore diving! Saw a scorpion fish and a free swimming sharp-tailed eel during the day. Octopus and squid at night! Lots of fish! Current is a bit of a challenge.

Rooms are nice. Beds are a concrete platform with a thin mattress on top. Good thing we were tired at night.

If you tip the maids every day, they will make animals and people out of the towels and bring extra ones. Very cool.

Bring a lock for your locker. They are large enough to hold all your gear.

Boats are slow, but if you have a good group, it can be a nice experience.

DM's and crew were very nice. They will walk around the boat offering water and juice. The crew will interact with the divers during the trip. Nice touch. Good dive briefings too.

We have stayed at Fiesta Americana on two previous trips. Scuba Club is no frills. It is just for divers. No entertainment or big bar scene. Just eat, dive, sit on the hammocks, eat, dive, sleep, repeat.

Glad to hear the good news about the shore diving. We were there pre-Wilma and loved the small eels, crabs, and juveniles right off their dock. The boats weren't that slow; an 8AM departure had you back for lunch. All the food is cooked to order, except breakfast, and was excellent. All the rooms have their own charm, ours was on the roof at the front, and while I first balked at the 2 flight climb, we had spectacular ocean views from our lanai. No need to bring in your own liquor, there's a duty free Chedrai (pronounced Walmart) a block away. In room fridges and you're all set. We recently stayed at the Iberostar, and while it was nice in a big resort way, SCC was way more for divers. Have a great trip.

chuck e:
Glad to hear the good news about the shore diving. We were there pre-Wilma and loved the small eels, crabs, and juveniles right off their dock. The boats weren't that slow; an 8AM departure had you back for lunch. All the food is cooked to order, except breakfast, and was excellent. All the rooms have their own charm, ours was on the roof at the front, and while I first balked at the 2 flight climb, we had spectacular ocean views from our lanai. No need to bring in your own liquor, there's a duty free Chedrai (pronounced Walmart) a block away. In room fridges and you're all set. We recently stayed at the Iberostar, and while it was nice in a big resort way, SCC was way more for divers. Have a great trip.

I have heard that some resorts with bars will give you grief over bringing in alcohol purchased elsewhere; did you run into any of that?

We bring beer back from Chedrai's to our rooms with no problems. We've also taken the beer out to the hammocks - again - no hassles from staff.

I've gone diving with SCC many times...but never stay at the resort. Just not my kinda thing. I do really like their dive operation and the fact that you have so many options. (altho I dive with Scuba Tony now for better personalized service...switched after getting inconsistent service post-Wilma) If you want a cattle boat that leaves the same time everyday...you are set w/ SCC. If you want a fast 6-8 person boat...you can arrange it ahead of time if there is enough people to sign up. If you want to sleep in and dive at your leisure...you can. I don't know of another place in Coz that I'd consider a true "dive resort". Another nice amenity for divers that aren't staying at the resort...is there are nice hot showers located in the bathrooms by the pools. Perfect for me since I always stayed elsewhere! My friend was getting certified through SCC so it was convenient. Of course...if you stay at the resort...you don't have to lug your gear around - which I simply put up with because I like the other places I'm staying in better. :)

Be sure to try the taxi dive...ask Raymundo or William in the dive shop how to go about it - it's very easy and I always see interesting stuff. Taxi to lighthouse, drift back to SCC. True - it's not a spectacular dive w/ lots of coral or anything and not tons of fish and stuff...but you will enjoy lots of small creatures and surprising sightings while going at a relaxing pace.

By the way...if you see something that resembles an electric ray...don't try to pet it!!! :1poke: I was so stunned :lightning the first time I touched it....that without really thinking, I touched it again...DOH! :icon10: The look on my dive buddies face...as he was staring at my priceless surprised and confused look and having to continuously clear his mask from laughing so hard....well lets just say I'm glad he was without his camera that day! BTW...i did NOT know what an electric ray looked like...and have since learned they are rarely spotted in Coz. This one was not too far from SCC's backyard so keep an eye out for him and tell him I said hello. :wink:

Also - I like the t-shirt selection better in the dive shop store across the street from SCC...rather than the one located inside SCC.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom