Advice for a dirt bag scuba diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thread title mystifies me. Where I come from "dirt bag" means something pretty reprehensible. Did the OP mean to write "dirt poor"?
I didn't think the title would get as much attention as it is. "Dirt bag" and that lifestyle is pretty common in Utah and within the sports and hobbies that I partake in (climbing, skydiving, skiing)
Definitely not reprehensible around here.

Thread title mystifies me. Where I come from "dirt bag" means something pretty reprehensible. Did the OP mean to write "dirt poor"?

its a term commonly associated with, and 'taken' by the rock climbing and 'extreme' sports community; giving up all the usual social trappings (job, home, family, etc) to pursue a calling.

I didn't think the title would get as much attention as it is. "Dirt bag" and that lifestyle is pretty common in Utah and within the sports and hobbies that I partake in (climbing, skydiving, skiing)
Definitely not reprehensible around here.

Merriam Webster:

Full Definition of dirtbag
slang
: a dirty, unkempt, or contemptible person

I know. I know. It's just that I was brought up speaking an entirely different language. English in the original form. I saw the 'other' definition below in Urban Dictionary and I get it.

A person who is committed to a given (usually extreme) lifestyle to the point of abandoning employment and other societal norms in order to pursue said lifestyle. Dirtbags can be distinguished from hippies by the fact that dirtbags have a specific reason for their living communaly and generally non-hygenically; dirtbags are seeking to spend all of their moments pursuing their lifestyle
The best examles of dirtbags and dirtbagging are the communities of climbers that can be found in any of the major climbing areas of North America--Squamish, BC; Yosemite, CA; Joshua Tree, CA; etc.

Florida is an extremely transient state. You can get a drivers license for 20.00 without handing in your home state one. I would suggest key largo. I don't know where you can park but I've seen campers in parking lots for days on end. Also if you can wait tables job are plenty to come by. I waited tables to supplement my instructors salary. I would see people work for a week then disappear. It was a constant turnover of wait staff! I made more money in tips than my instructors salary! If you show up on time you got a job!

@tridacna

Few people, including divers, likely know what tridacna (Tridacna) is. I recently saw many squamosa and maxima on my 2 week trip in the Red Sea :)

Florida is an extremely transient state. You can get a drivers license for 20.00 without handing in your home state one. I would suggest key largo. I don't know where you can park but I've seen campers in parking lots for days on end. Also if you can wait tables job are plenty to come by. I waited tables to supplement my instructors salary. I would see people work for a week then disappear. It was a constant turnover of wait staff! I made more money in tips than my instructors salary! If you show up on time you got a job!

Only real problem with the Keys is lack of shore diving, consistent with living inexpensively. Boat diving would suck up a fair amount of money, perhaps it would work. The employment plan is certainly a good one, likely better than SE Florida.

Ya...no shore diving but again there's always a big turn around in work including dive shops. She can get a job working the stores or tank and rental cages that way she can get free diving! Again the living part might be difficult it is very expensive in the keys. But if you look at the rentals majority of them are on a weekly basis because it's so transient.

I likes the keys I always thought it was the last stop for most people. It almost as if the people that live there are in hiding...LOL!

Krystal asked, "Do you know where your friend would stay in CA or what he was paying for places to stay? I'd preferably just like to be near the ocean to dive"

My friend stayed at a different all-night parking place every night in California. In Florida he will be visiting relatives but on the way there staying at rest stops. He is not looking for work as he travels though. He pays to park to visit the beach, but he says the local police are quite inquisitive about vehicles parked overnight anywhere public. Wishing you safe travels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom