Advice for a newbie : buying tank packages ahead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also recommend at least initially to try a private DM. At around $50-55 additional for a 2 tank dive, it is money well spent for a novice diver. The subject of refund policy was mentioned earlier and I would like to mention that in 5 1/2 years and 600 -700 dives with Tres Pelicanos I have never seen or heard of a diver being charged for a dive they did not actually do. They are really very accommodating in the event of a change of plans or weather difficulties.
(yes, that was shameless cheerleading :yeahbaby:)

As a super nervous diver...I'd put my vote in for a small boat.

I have an amazing buddy, so I haven't ever done the private DM, but for me, I really like an op where the Captain has been with them for a really long time in addition to long time DMs. Knowing the Captain will be there just seconds after you surface is nice.

We only pay a deposite. A headcold can prevent you from diving. Nothing like paying for dives and watching the boat pull from the dock every morning with your empty seat.

Always tell the Dive Op the day before diving you will not be with them. Telling them the morning of the dive and you just played for a trip.

We only pay a deposite. A headcold can prevent you from diving. Nothing like paying for dives and watching the boat pull from the dock every morning with your empty seat.

It makes it even more depressing knowing your paying for that empty seat :(

Always tell the Dive Op the day before diving you will not be with them. Telling them the morning of the dive and you just played for a trip.

Don't assume even if you do let them know the day before that your not going to pay for that empty seat. Depending on the op's policy you may still be paying for that empty seat. Check who your diving with and there policy before making any long term commitments.

One thing I have learned from my reading is not to hide that I am a newbie.

Personally, nothing turns me off more than if I'm on a boat and there is some loud mouth who just has to start rambling about all the places he's been, how many dives he has logged, blah blah blah... And then I watch him attach the first stage of his reg to his tank upside down realize something is wrong when he tries to attach his LP hose to his BC and quietly fixes that. Then puts his wet suit on backwards and realizes that doesn't feel right and fixes that. Then hits the water and either can't submerge or sinks like a canon ball out of control. He's what I call a "Blidget" which is 100lbs of BS in a 10lb bag. I steer clear of such an individual as he is a danger to himself and anyone who may be in close proximity to him at depth. He's either going to kill himself or someone else because while he may hold a cert card he failed to learn anything and has no idea what he's doing. He's just a Blidget with a know-it-all mind set and because of that he's learned absolutely nothing as no one is going to try to teach a know-it-all fool. One learns by asking questions and listening to those who are more experienced and enjoy sharing their knowledge. No one ever learned anything with their mouth running.

As they say, "There's an a-hole on every boat and if ya can't tell who it is, it could be you!"

I'll add that bigger boats rock more - so actually not more stable unless seas are rough.

And don't forget, amidst all that rocking and plodding along that sickening heavy stench of diesel exhaust that wafts up over the stern and infiltrates the seating area depending on the wind. Big, slow, rocking, plodding boat bathed in diesel exhaust is a recipe for headache and sea sickness like ya read about.

Personally, nothing turns me off more than if I'm on a boat and there is some loud mouth who just has to start rambling about all the places he's been, how many dives he has logged, blah blah blah... And then I watch him attach the first stage of his reg to his tank upside down realize something is wrong when he tries to attach his LP hose to his BC and quietly fixes that. Then puts his wet suit on backwards and realizes that doesn't feel right and fixes that. Then hits the water and either can't submerge or sinks like a canon ball out of control. He's what I call a "Blidget" which is 100lbs of BS in a 10lb bag. I steer clear of such an individual as he is a danger to himself and anyone who may be in close proximity to him at depth. He's either going to kill himself or someone else because while he may hold a cert card he failed to learn anything and has no idea what he's doing. He's just a Blidget with a know-it-all mind set and because of that he's learned absolutely nothing as no one is going to try to teach a know-it-all fool. One learns by asking questions and listening to those who are more experienced and enjoy sharing their knowledge. No one ever learned anything with their mouth running.

As they say, "There's an a-hole on every boat and if ya can't tell who it is, it could be you!"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Oh boy ! I am not the type to brag, more the opposite. Like they say : "You have two ears and one mouth. So listen twice as much as you talk."

I would also recommend at least initially to try a private DM. At around $50-55 additional for a 2 tank dive, it is money well spent for a novice diver. The subject of refund policy was mentioned earlier and I would like to mention that in 5 1/2 years and 600 -700 dives with Tres Pelicanos I have never seen or heard of a diver being charged for a dive they did not actually do. They are really very accommodating in the event of a change of plans or weather difficulties.
(yes, that was shameless cheerleading :yeahbaby:)

Ha ha ha ha
Thanks for your input. I will most likely try a private DM for the first day. I am travelling alone and all this new stuff to learn might be a bit much to to absorb on my own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom