Advice for a newbie : buying tank packages ahead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've not yet read through the remaining responses but wanted to echo Christie's advice. I can speak from personal experience.

Our second dive trip after being certified was to Cozumel. We selected a dive op on the recommendation of our LDS (local dive shop). It was a small operation and was perfect. As new divers, I didn't realize how helpful it would be to have the personal attention and advice from the DM. He could only provide that because it was a small group. I learned so much more on that trip than on our first trip which was on a cattle boat in St Lucia.

I also experienced some unexpected anxiety. I had never been in the kinds of current that are common on Cozumel. Our DM spent quite a bit of time with me and helped me to gain the confidence I needed. Since we had communicated with him via email prior to our trip he knew that we were brand new divers. Consequently he selected sites that were appropriate to our experience. 6 years on we still dive with him when we are in Coz. We don't need as much of his attention these days but I still appreciate the smaller groups.

Whatever you decide, have a great time. Cozumel is really special.

I really appreciate your comment. It confirms what I was thinking about having the chance to start on the right foot and go for dives that are appropriate for my skills and experience.

Thanks !

Thanks Christie. Your answer is much appreciated. I would indeed prefer smaller boats for many reasons. That being said, I was under the impression that the pier was solely for the hotel's shop. I was mistaken.
I saw dive boats picking up divers at Occidental but I'm not sure if that would be better for you. You may have to travel to town to arrange this which is an inconvenience, and Pro-Dive at Occidental is OK for beginners. They only do shallow dives anyway. Rinsing and storing gear is not a problem as they have rinse tanks and buckets for storing your gear. It's good for you to look after your own gear anyway.

I saw dive boats picking up divers at Occidental but I'm not sure if that would be better for you. You may have to travel to town to arrange this which is an inconvenience, and Pro-Dive at Occidental is OK for beginners. They only do shallow dives anyway. Rinsing and storing gear is not a problem as they have rinse tanks and buckets for storing your gear. It's good for you to look after your own gear anyway.

No, he will not have to come to town for check-in with us :)

BC724660-AA35-4492-898C-EE35BE3CE12A.jpeg
8EACA692-9E97-4B72-B9CB-7600B829E27D.jpeg
Was there last week for nine days, dove every day but one with a valet service. My wife had only dove five times previously and I wanted to make sure she’d be comfortable and learn more. She had a private DM the first two days and it was worth every peso.

What’s it worth to not haul all your gear back to your room?

Do you want to dive like this or that? Second pic is the dock at Secrets at 8am, first one is the valet arriving after the chaos.......

041EB767-DEAF-414F-921D-D879D325BB2E.jpeg
Sorry, better pic of dock excitment

View attachment 464110 View attachment 464109 Was there last week for nine days, dove every day but one with a valet service. My wife had only dove five times previously and I wanted to make sure she’d be comfortable and learn more. She had a private DM the first two days and it was worth every peso.

What’s it worth to not haul all your gear back to your room?

Do you want to dive like this or that? Second pic is the dock at Secrets at 8am, first one is the valet arriving after the chaos.......

Oh boy !

An image is, indeed, worth a thousand words! I was already sold to the idea of going for a smaller boat and more personalized operator, but that is the definitive argument. Thanks a lot for sharing. :)

I have booked with @Christi and am really looking forward to it ! !

Now, I am counting the days :)

If you're staying at Occidental take lots of mosquito repellant and some ointment to treat your bites. The place is built on a mangrove swamp.

Uh oh... I didn't know. I'll get there fully equipped. That is a GREAT piece of advice.

Oh boy !

An image is, indeed, worth a thousand words! I was already sold to the idea of going for a smaller boat and more personalized operator, but that is the definitive argument. Thanks a lot for sharing. :)

I have booked with @Christi and am really looking forward to it ! !

Now, I am counting the days :)

You will not regret it at all! With where you are staying and what I seen - I'm guessing you'll have just after 9am pickups so while you are eating breakfast, you'll enjoy the show. Those pics were taken while we ate breakfast!

I'll never dive Cozumel any other way period and I'm thinking I'm gonna be diving Cozumel a lot more in the coming years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom