advice for newbie to U/W photography pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for all the advice. It can all seem a little overwhelming.
I took a look at that link, and also followed the trail on the Canon site to their housings. It rates the WP-DC9, for the SD800 to 130. The housing listed for the A710 is the WP-DC6. Neither spot lists specs for it, in that I don't even know how deep it's rated? I'm leaning towards the A710, but not if the housing isn't rated deep enough.
Ikelite does seem to have great housings, but they are out of my budget. Don't forget, $400 US is a million CAD :wink: Seriously, with the exchange and the shipping and the duty and the taxes, blah blah blah.... I'd be looking at $600-$700.. when I can get a Canon housing for $300 CAD picked up from the store (actually, he said he'd give me a discount for buying the package)
Fuji makes the f40fd (I think... so many numbers... I am sure about the 40 part) that is listed to have a housing. Any one familiar with this camera?

Debbie, I believe all the Canon WP-DC housing are all rated to 130 feet. I also believe that's because that's the "limit" for recreational diving and some lawyer somewhere told them to put that. My WP-DC2 housing went to 134ft. last week and did just fine.

I'm very new to UW photography myself. I took my Canon A540 and WP-DC2 housing to Cozumel and Puerto Morelos last week and got some decent pictures. You can see them in this thread if your interested. http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=191414

Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas. I took it all away and did a LOT of research, but ...went on a shopping spree this weekend! In the end I went with Sony all the way with a one-stop shop to the Sony Store... who price matched Best Buys deals. Plus and we got ourselves a Sony mini-DV camcorder as well, so we're set for our wedding trip to Jamaica :)
Pooh-pooh Sony all you want, but my fiance gets some great shots with his older Sony, so I'm sold for my level for sure. I went with the DSC-W70 and so far above ground I love it! It has lots of new technology features, and there's still a lot I can set manually, for such a tiny compact camera. So I think this will be a great start. Plus... and this is the exciting part.... They had the housing for it IN STOCK! I am dying to go try it out... (but I think my next dive will be with a class)

Congratulations Debbie! I wish you many years of great pictures with your new camera. I look forward to seeing some of your pictures in the future.

As long as you are happy with the system you choose, who cares what everyone else thinks!

Have a great time and we all look forward to seeing the images and hearing about what you like/don't like about the new rig. It would be great if you could let us know which model you chose so other's who are searching can compare.

My old DSC-F55 (2.1mp) took great pics topside, and was very easy to use. I got several years out of it, and now my son has been using it for the last two. I'm sure you'll take lots of great pictures.

Debbie, you may want to read your Sony manual on "white balance" before using your camera underwater. Learn how to put it in underwater mode (factory preset white balance for UW photography, if it has one) or how to manually set the white balance underwater. Otherwise, your photos will probably turn out overly greenish/bluish. I have a Canon A95 with its Canon UW housing, and I like it alot (like Alcina, am a big fan of Canon A series cameras). My buddy has a Sony, and his UW photos tend to be on the cool (green/blue) side because he doesn't or doesn't know how to adjust the white balance for UW shots.

I guess it's "cheating" to take out that overly blue/green tone with Photoshop? :no (Is PhotoShop a swear word around here? LOL) Is there such a thing as removing too much blue/green? Honestly, does it looks unnatural?

Ok, so talking about white balance - dumb newbie experience - when I borrowed that old Canon for diving in Maui, I was told about the white balance. I read as much as I could comprehend, and tried to set it the camera and take the pictures as he recommended. First dive and they were absolutely revolting - overexposed, lots of back splatter. Just terrible! As I said, I took better pictures with my disposible. With every dive I talked to more people and tried other things. Finally I put the thing on auto and got the only half decent pictures of the trip. What was wrong? My fiance tried it and handed it back with a shrug and picked up his Sony again. Now... I know I'm new, and accept that, but that camera made me feel like a complete idiot. Maybe that's why I just could not bring myself to get another Canon. It mocked me! lol. Perhaps I will have to be an 'auto' girl with a basic starter Sony like this for awhile. We shall see. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time.

Alcina - It's a Sony DSC-W80. I will come back and give my honest thoughts on it as a camera for other new u/w photographers looking for an inexpensive starter camera set up.

Attachments

• turtleSM.jpg
    turtleSM.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 43
Can't wait to see the results. I just bought a Oly Sp-350 and the learning curve is HUGE. I have had it down 2 times now and am gradually figuring it out. So I am curious about your experience.. keep posting

DiverDebbie:
I guess it's "cheating" to take out that overly blue/green tone with Photoshop?... Honestly, does it looks unnatural?
Correcting for the blue/green tone (another way of saying white balance adjusting) can be done before (setting/adj white balance) or after the shot (photoshop). Properly done before taking photos can save considerable time of post processing.

DiverDebbie:
... tried to set it the camera and take the pictures as he recommended. First dive and they were absolutely revolting - overexposed, lots of back splatter.
Overexposure and backscatter are different and separate and NOT caused by improper white balance setting. Overexposure is due to having the flash intensity too high. Backscatter is caused by the use of the camera's internal flash with its light being reflected by suspended particles back to the camera. Backscatter is overcome by use of an external strobe (a bit too advance for you at this time). ALL UW cameras using the built-in internal flash as the only light source will, at one point or another, experience backscatter. This problem is not brand specific.

DiverDebbie:
... that camera made me feel like a complete idiot. Maybe that's why I just could not bring myself to get another Canon. It mocked me! lol. Perhaps I will have to be an 'auto' girl with a basic starter Sony like this for awhile...
Hmmm... I get it that using that particular Canon camera was a pretty bad experience for you. You've already bought a Sony camera, and I'm not here to change your mind about that decision after the fact, nor am I saying which brand is better. The subject is white balance adjustment to reduce green/blue tone. Come to think of it, maybe the best course of action for you is to have the camera in "auto" mode, take UW photos, then do post processing with photoshop. With more experience, you can then take on pre-shooting white balance setting. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom