Advice on 'full size' wrist computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocoajoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was shopping for a larger computer without spending $1000 or more when I came across the Mares Nemo Wide for around $500. Well, I was doing my due diligence by looking online at the Mares site, reviews, vendors when I found out it uses the most (RGBM) conservative algorithm to be had.

Not that I'm not a dare devil by any means but the most conservative? C'mon man! Anyway, I've started looking again so...any advice?

Thanks in advance

Get a Shearwater Petrel. It's a few hundred more, but impossible to outgrow and a MUCH better computer.

I agree, I have the Liquivision XEO and also a Shearwater Petrel and I much prefer the Petrel. Also bought the unlock code so I can use VBM algorithm as well so I now have a choice of algorithms. Love the screen size, brightness, ability to plan a dive on the computer, ease of use, choice of batteries etc etc. Buying another Petrel for my wife as well.

If I was in the market today I'd buy a Petrel, more than ill ever likely need but looks like a great computer. I currently own, and like very much, a Heinrichs Weikamp Frog.

Bought a nemo mars wide recently and i just love it. Great software for downloading dives on a pc!

Get a Shearwater Petrel. It's a few hundred more, but impossible to outgrow and a MUCH better computer.

Checked into Petrel and the few (internet) places had them priced at ($950), $400 more than Wide but very impressive to say the least. One (1) on Ebay used, no return, last bid $303....little bit leary of no return.

---------- Post added May 19th, 2013 at 11:46 AM ----------

I agree, I have the Liquivision XEO and also a Shearwater Petrel and I much prefer the Petrel. Also bought the unlock code so I can use VBM algorithm as well so I now have a choice of algorithms. Love the screen size, brightness, ability to plan a dive on the computer, ease of use, choice of batteries etc etc. Buying another Petrel for my wife as well.

Unlock code? Not possible to change algorithm w/o code?

Not a big deal. Since you can set the conservatism on the Shearwater. I love my Predator and would buy another in a heartbeat. Or a Petrel should I decide I need more than a bottom timer and tables for back up.

Not that I'm not a dare devil by any means but the most conservative? C'mon man! Anyway, I've started looking again so...any advice?

Thanks in advance
I hear you loud & clear. I have been a fan of the Uwatec dive computers since the 90's. They use a reasonable algorithm. Their computers are easy to use & read.

Now, Uwatec is sold by Scubapro/SubGear.

The Galileo Luna is a large dive computer that fits your criteria. If you want to make it more conservative, then you can add level stops ( safety stops ).

You can personalize it to your needs. The wrist unit only is at a comparable price point.

galileo_luna_us.jpg

Back
Top Bottom