Advice on 'full size' wrist computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there are 3 settings to choose from: PF0 PF1 PF2 with the PF0 setting being the most liberal.
Here is a quote from the manual:
SET - AIR - PERSONAL CORRECTION FACTOR
Nemo Wide includes a personal correction factor, which you can set for added safety, to make the algorithm more conservative. The correction factor should be used by inexperienced divers, for strenuous dives or when diving after a prolonged period of inactivity.

The PF 0 program introduces no additional margin of safety.
This icon, which appears during the dive, indicates whether a personal correction factor is enabled, and if so, its level.
The current personal safety factor program (PF0, PF1, PF) is displayed when you turn on the computer (Fig. 6).
Fig. 6
Use the <+> and <-> keys to set the desired value.
Press <ENTER> to save your selection and move to the next set.

Here is also yhe link to the manual

http://www.mares.com/common/__/942.24fc864c.dl

Can anyone tell me if $950 for Petrel is the best price out there?

It's not.
I know a guy who knows a guy who talked to a girl who is the sister of a lady who....

Just email me. I'll tell ya who. No, it's not me. :)
peter@ultimatecavediving.com

I hear you loud & clear. I have been a fan of the Uwatec dive computers since the 90's. They use a reasonable algorithm. Their computers are easy to use & read.

Now, Uwatec is sold by Scubapro/SubGear.

The Galileo Luna is a large dive computer that fits your criteria. If you want to make it more conservative, then you can add level stops ( safety stops ).

You can personalize it to your needs. The wrist unit only is at a comparable price point.

galileo_luna_us.jpg

Yes, large it is, think iPad mini. I really like this computer but I'm circus freak small and was afraid it would upset my trim lol...

Further to our private discussion (just posting it here so that everyone can see).

Mares Nemo Wide, by default its set, to PO 1.

If you would like to dive more conservative you could set it to PO 2.

If you would like to dive less conservative you could set it to PO 0.

Does that make sense?

I got mine from here:

COMPUTER SUB MARES NEMO WIDE CON INTERFACCIA DRAK E ACCESSORI WRIST DIVING | eBay

its 290 EURO + 10 EURO for shipping to USA ( 373 USD + 13 USD) approx.. You will probably pay import duty on that price. You need to check first.

I did a little research for you
04.gif

Scuba.com : 399 USD including the USB kit and shipping
Leisure pro: 589 USD with free shipping :):):):):):):):) but they also offer some used at excellent condition for 250 USD
Divers supply: 515 USD

the rest of the online stores are around the 515 price.

Checked into Petrel [] One (1) on Ebay used, no return, last bid $303....little bit leary of no return.

I messaged the seller of that one, who claims to have none of the stuff that came in the box (dongle, bungiee adaptor straps, paperwork) and can't provide a reciept or other proof of purchase. I have a used Predator I bought on here (which came with all that and more, from the original owner) that's worked great...but I'd avoid this one.

Was shopping for a larger computer without spending $1000 or more when I came across the Mares Nemo Wide for around $500. Well, I was doing my due diligence by looking online at the Mares site, reviews, vendors when I found out it uses the most (RGBM) conservative algorithm to be had.

Not that I'm not a dare devil by any means but the most conservative? C'mon man! Anyway, I've started looking again so...any advice?

Thanks in advance

Just to issue a correction here, there is nothing inherently "most conservative" about RGBM. There are settings in the RGBM algorithm that are tweaked by each manufacturer to arrive at a risk factor with which they are comfortable. Most computers also allow the user to adjust risk factors within a range.

I think the "RGBM=conservative" meme got started because Suunto uses a type of "folded" RGBM, promotes it heavily, and has a reputation for very conservative settings. But the conservatism settings are the decision of the manufacturer, not an inherent characteristic of the RGBM algorithm as opposed to others. Some computers, like our Atomic Cobalt, are more mainstream in conservatism, but still use RGBM. I have no idea where Mares falls on this spectrum.

Ron

If I was in the market today I'd buy a Petrel, more than ill ever likely need but looks like a great computer. I currently own, and like very much, a Heinrichs Weikamp Frog.

Hi I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread to ask you this question but you seem to be one of the few people on ScubaBoard who owns/uses an HW Frog.

I'm currently shopping for a computer and have narrowed down my choices to either a Frog or a Petrel and was wondering what thoughts you had on why to choose a Petrel over the Frog if you were in the market right now?

I know they are both great computers I'm just curious what for you would make the Petrel the first choice if buying now, and what in particular you really like or dislike about the Frog. There just isn't that much comparative info out there.

Best,

Ben

The reason I chose Shearwater was simple. Along with it doing everything I need it to the service from them is exemplary. They keep you up to.date on new developments, downloads are simple to do and free, and the dive nav class makes the thing so easy to use. I own a Predator and would buy another in a heartbeat or a petrel for a back up.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom