advice on new doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Edmonston:
I am not disputing your success. But as a Dive shop owner, I cannot float the liability of overfilling past stated pressures. I'll stay on the side of caution.

I'm just a little surprised that you guys are discussing increasing the pressures by 30% and changing burst disks to achieve that purpose.

I have some pictures of exploded tanks that I could upload if you wish. (They're buried somewhere...) But just remember that when a tank blows, it's like a claymore going off. You can justify it any way you like, but if it happens on the boat, you will take out the better part of a 10ft radius. Is an extra 15 minutes of bottom time worth that? I don't care if it worked the first 9999 times. the 1 time it blows, you could take out a family. :shakehead

My question is; is the pressure rating determined by the burst disc/ P preference, or are LP and HP tanks really different, and, if so, how?

I uploaded some pictures of the NOMAD while I was on an expedition in Abaco. Check out my gallery.

Cheers. :D

Mike

evad:
My question is; is the pressure rating determined by the burst disc/ P preference, or are LP and HP tanks really different, and, if so, how?

There is a difference on the construction, not sure on the specifics, but they are made with the same type of steel. I'll start a thread to see if someone can come up with an answer for this. It's gotta be more than just the burst disk.

Mike Edmonston:
I am not disputing your success. But as a Dive shop owner, I cannot float the liability of overfilling past stated pressures. I'll stay on the side of caution.

I can respect that. Owning your own business, you have liability issues to deal with no matter how small the odds. That being said, my business would go to the guy who will fill my tanks the way I want them filled.

I have some pictures of exploded tanks that I could upload if you wish.

Were they in VIP and hydro? Was the cause of the explosion due to overfilling? If so, by how much? I am unaware of any steel tanks that were in hydro and VIP ever exploding because of cave country-style overfills (3600psi+ in 2400 psi tanks).

Soggy:
Were they in VIP and hydro? Was the cause of the explosion due to overfilling? If so, by how much? I am unaware of any steel tanks that were in hydro and VIP ever exploding because of cave country-style overfills (3600psi+ in 2400 psi tanks).

Hey Soggy how ya been :wink:

I'll look for the pics of the tanks. I'm not sure if they were steel or Aluminum, but I do remember that they were in hydro and in current VIP. I got the pics in a VIP class years ago, and will have to look for them.

Cheers,:D

Mike

Mike Edmonston:
Hey Soggy how ya been :wink:

I'll look for the pics of the tanks. I'm not sure if they were steel or Aluminum, but I do remember that they were in hydro and in current VIP. I got the pics in a VIP class years ago, and will have to look for them.

Cheers,:D

Mike

Well if you got them in a VIP class, that would indicate that the explosion was VIP related, not overfilling.

Mike Edmonston:
If you want, the next time I'm in JAX, I can bring a NOMAD and let you give it a shot. I only ask that If you like it, buy it from me :wink: .

If you don't like it, well... at least we went diving. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers.:D

Mike

Awesome...
Another NOMADer...

Jeano Beano

P.S. Andy , let me know when you try it out...I'd like to come along...I can always use the pointers myself.

oh sure ... ya

ya betcha ya...

:wink:

Arcaporale:
It's gotta be more than just the burst disk.

Or is it just due to the manufacturers and vendors?

evad:
Well if you got them in a VIP class, that would indicate that the explosion was VIP related, not overfilling.

Again, I'll have to look. I do remember that a couple pics were due to overfills. 1 exploded in the back of a car and literally removed everything from the rear window back!

I guess that the bottom line is to respect the tanks.

Cheers. :D

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom