Advice on Roatan Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning a March trip with the family to Roatan.
We want to select a resort based on its' local dive sites.
There are resorts on the SouthEast shore, the West End,
and the North Shore. As a Roatan newbee, can you share the differences between the dive sites in each of these areas.
Thanks for your help.

An oft talked of topic.

:search::sblogo:
......:lotsalove:

Click on: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/261322-roatan-geography.html for a very good start in your quest.

A snippet...

Is the diving better off of one side or the other? Not really, it's just different.

The North side is typical of the diving that one used to be able to find all over the Caribbean. Quick positive changes have occurred with the recent advent of the Roatan Marine Reserve which has restricted commercial fishing in that zone. Larger, apex predators have quickly returned and become visible in this niche environment sanctuary. You will often see larger fish and crustaceans on the prowl.

The South side is for more advanced divers. No, it does not require the skills you learn in AOW, but it instead rewards the slow and observant divers with better buoyancy skills. You have to be able to hover and get in close to see all of the many micro/macro critters that use the shallow reef structure as an incubator and niche hiding spot. Many divers without those skill sets or an appreciation for the macro walk away hating it.

As a further comparison, consider the artificial placed reefs, the "wrecks".

On the North side, they are newer, deep (100+fsw) and not very overgrown due to the depth and darkness. They are the hang-outs of large fish which have been known to put on quite a show when fed (see YouTube) As deep as they are, they have been given an occasional good toss by passing storms. They are super technical dives and good penetration training dives.

On the South side, the wrecks are quite shallow (35~55fsw) and have weathered many storms intact, even one since 1984. Even the DC3 aircraft which has literally "flown" in the current, remains identifiable as an airplane. They are covered with soft and hard corals, anemones, and little stuff. Sure, there's an occasional big Eel or Ray, a Grouper or Baracuda, but most people there are looking at the small stuff so they wouldn't likely notice.

Picture_50.png

Remember, the island is long and thin, and it lies at an angle- SW to NE, thus there is a North West Coast (West End/North Side) and a South East Shore (South Side).

ClickMap3.png

Last edited:
There is great diving on both sides of the island. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is basically full of B.S. On my second dive upon return from the Houston Dive Show we saw a nurse shark. It's not that common to see them in these parts but we do see them. As for macro life, there is tons on both sides. Advanced divers are not more suited on one side or the other. Again, this is just BS. When it comes from people who don't live or dive here on a yearly basis, on a daily basis, it's absurd to me. On your trip, visit both sides and explore what Roatan has to offer in terms of diving. I would suggest visiting Utila as well via Vern on his catamaran. Basically, my two cents involve diving in as many of the spectacular places the Bay Islands have to offer.

Feel free to send me any questions you may have.

Good luck on your decision.

-marco

So Marco, can you tell us what you think the differences are in diving between the South and Northwest side? I will be staying at the Reef House Resort on the south side in 2 1/2 weeks. It sounds like, from RoatanMan's quote, that the south side is all macro and less viz due to runoff in rainy weather?

There is great diving on both sides of the island. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is basically full of B.S.

Advanced divers are not more suited on one side or the other. Again, this is just BS.

On your trip, visit both sides and explore what Roatan has to offer in terms of diving. I would suggest visiting Utila as well via Vern on his catamaran. Basically, my two cents involve diving in as many of the spectacular places the Bay Islands have to offer.

Huum.. With all due respect marco, who in this post said the diving was better on one side than the other? Nobody! It was said, and I quote "Is the diving better off of one side or the other? Not really, it's just different."

And as for what Roatanman said about diving abilities... I've never been on the North side... But I can confirm what he said about the south side! It is full of tiny little critters that you really need to hover in close to see properly, without thrashing the reef. And this is an advanced buoyancy skill! It's not essential...
but you'll definetly miss a lot if you aren,t good at buoyancy...:popcorn:

And as for your suggestion of visiting and diving all over, well that really depends on how much time they are there! if they have 2 weeks, yeah, sure moving around visiting and even going to utila is great! But if they only have 1 week, and want to get in a decent amount of diving, I think they should just stay put in one place and do any visiting from there. After all Roatan isn't that big and you can get anywhere from anywhere...

I don't really know why you got your panties in such a tight bundle about this post. I didn't read anything really wrong or misleading in it! Anyways...

To the original poster. i think it would help if you could let people know a bit more what you are looking for. Are you looking for all inclusive? Or small dive shop and hotel? Night life/ bar? Just quiet? Only doing a few dives? Or do you want to maximise dive time? More help in understanding what you want would be good!

Cheers and peace everybody!:coffee:

Its interesting to see how the responses on where is the most appropriate location to dive on Roatan have improved, how many members are providing much more unbiased and mature posts on the subject.

Well done Roatanman, Codman and Bay Island Diver, lets hope some of the newer posters will do the same.

Hello,

Perhaps these diagrams of reef cross-sections for the northside and southside of Roatan, will help you understand the differences, from a topographical view point.

Simply stated, the northside is a fringing surface reef with a lagoon system and plateaus before falling off to a straight wall structure.

On the southside, there is relatively little in terms of lagoons and fringing reefs. The reef begins at the shore and drops off into a straight wall about 100 yards or less of the shoreline.

All the diving is good, just different in terms of topography.

Visibility is impaired all over the islands be cause there is no Coastal Zone Management.

Doc Radawski

Attachments

• A Typical Cross-Section  _ Southside RTB_BW.jpg
    A Typical Cross-Section _ Southside RTB_BW.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 155
  • A Typical Cross-Section North _ South.jpg
    A Typical Cross-Section North _ South.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 651
Its good, all of it. I have been to Roatan 10 times and I am there now after about two weeks and going home the day after tomorrow. My favorite site on the entire island is West End Wall. There is lots of marine life here, all over the place. A lot of your choice depends on budget and what your overall expectations are. I prefer a very laid back mood and West End does that for me. This is my fifth trip to West End in two years. For divers that are seeking additional courses West End is particularly good as there is instruction at reasonable prices.

I would give a lot of weight to what Marco says. He lives on Roatan, does hundreds of dives every year (most on West End or the North West area, but many on the South side) and lots of instruction. I had a few cold ones with him at Sundowner this evening.

I'd like to thank all of your thoughtful and informative replies.
The information you've supplied has helped us plan the right trip for my family.
My teenagers love diving, but are still most impressed by large creatures, cool wrecks,
and drama. Hopefully the more subtle findings of beautiful juveniles and the small reef inhabitants
will become of interest as they mature.
Thanks again for sharing your wisdom and knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom