Advice on what Dacor to keep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember a discussion about vomiting where it was suggested that the possibility of taking a reflexive deep breath afterward meant it was best to do this with a reg in your mouth.

I like my metal-bodied regs. I've got several conshelfs, some MR-12s, and now am acquiring some 109s. That said, to make room for the "newer" regs, I'm getting rid of my old Dacor 900/Pacer reg.
Doc Ed, while I acknowledge that there is a possibility of a reflexive deep breath after vomiting underwater, I would ask, would you rather have a reflexive deep breath with a regulator second stage filled with vomitus (and the stomach acids) which would contribute to inhalation pneumonitus, or sea water? Remember, today's regulators will push that stuff into the lungs at fairly high velocity.

Having been in this position, I take the regulator out of my mouth. If someone doesn't have the ability to control breathing such as to repress the reflex inhalation until putting the regulator back into the mouth, he or she probably should not be diving (my opinion, but then there are many people who dive without much comfort in the water now too).

One final point, if vomiting into a regulator mouthpiece is done with a double hose regulator, that exhalation hose will be filled with vomitus which is almost impossible to remove upon cleaning, and will probably require replacement of the exhalation hose. However, the double hose mouthpiece is probably more forgiving to the diver in the water, and there would be less hazard of the diver inhaling vomitus with the double hose regulator than with a single hose regulator.

Now, maybe we can get away from this yucky subject.

SeaRat

Doc Ed, while I acknowledge that there is a possibility of a reflexive deep breath after vomiting underwater, I would ask, would you rather have a reflexive deep breath with a regulator second stage filled with vomitus (and the stomach acids) which would contribute to inhalation pneumonitus, or sea water? Remember, today's regulators will push that stuff into the lungs at fairly high velocity.

Agreeing that this tangent is OT to the original question, but since you asked which I preferred, I would rather risk pneumonitis, than be dead from inhaling seawater.

I would keep the XLE and the basic Pacer. The XLB used a special LP seat/stem that was molded together and only used on the XLB metal and the XLP Plastic second stages for a very short time. This part is very hard to find. You could convert the XLB into an XLE by removing the adjustment knob assembly and LP seat and using the seat and screw from the pacer and use a 3/8 port plug for the hole. This would allow you access to fine tune the second stage. Scott

Thanks Scott, that's the info I was looking for. I knew I read somewhere that either the xlb or xle had some weird service related issue but couldn't remember what I read or which one. I'm going to keep a couple of the basic pacers on a 900 first and eBay everything else except the Olympic, I like that huge monstrosity too much to get rid of.

If I can be of any help with parts or 2-cents worth of advise, just let me know. I try not to live on the computer but SB is on my bookmarks bar so I check it regularly. Regards Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom