Advice Please!! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hutchinson12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I am planning a dive trip for late November and have been looking at maybe a Richelieu Rock Liveboard. I have heard mixed reviews about Thailand in general and wandered if anybody had any advice on good dive sites or places to avoid.
Thank you!

First of all, Richelieu Rock is a fantastic dive site, one of the best in Thailand, in my humble opinion.

Secondly, what mixed reviews about Thailand in general have you heard, dive reviews, food reviews, nightlife reviews, 2nd hand car sales reviews? Maybe you can be a bit more specific and let us know what you are referring to and we can give you, ideally, some feedback on how we experience these 'mixed reviews', having lived here for many years.

Yes, on a liveaboard trip to Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock you'll experience some of the best diving Thailand has to offer. If you have the time, make this a trip of minimum 4 days/4 nights, preferably even a bit longer. And if still time available, combine this trip with a short (2 or 3 days) liveaboard trip to the Southern divesites like Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Koh Haa, Bida Islands and Shark Point area.

With that combination you'll have visited all diving highlights.

Most people who I have spoken to about diving in Thailand have talked about bleaching and Dynamite fishing and how dive sites are not what they used to be. Also on at least 2 liveaboards I have been on they have stopped there tours in Thailand due to this so thats why I ask as I have never been diving in Thailand before.
I have seen a 3 day/night liveaboard to Richelieu Rock which I quite fancy.

In my opinion the 3 day trips are too rushed.

I would not know of any boats that have stopped due to 'poor diving conditions'. I do know of some boats that have stopped because they were not making any money or could make more money elsewhere. One of the difficult things for operators here is that there are quite a few agents, including e.g. me, who know the boats and the offerings, so if a boat is offering less value for money than other boats it will have a difficult time surviving here.

In my opinion, the Northern route is the best of the two and Richelieu is a world class dive destination.
The Similan islands have indeed suffered a bit from the bleaching and there aren't as many sharks around anymore as there used to be. Still, most dive sites are boulder sites and still very spectacular, just in my humble opinion.

Hi hutchinson12--I remember talking to you about Sipadan and about Indonesia and other stuff, right? So I've got a pretty good notion of your desired standards already.....

For the sort of diving you've been doing and looking at, I would also recommend the 4-day trip and not any of the 3-day trips. Yes, you definitely want to get to Richelieu, which is our premier dive site in the Kingdom of Thailand, but the three day trips tend not to do the Similans, which are spectacular in their own right.

Though I will tell you that the stories of dynamite fishing in the Similans and around Richelieu are false, I won't tell you that there has been no coral bleaching, because in fact we did have a bleaching event two years ago. Unfortunately, we lost a lot of staghorn corals in the shallow areas on the eastern sides of the Similans and some of the other sloping reefs. These formerly majestic staghorn forests are now starting to recover, but those shallow areas still have significant coral rubble. HOWEVER (and notice I put this in BIG, bold letters) in my considered opinion, the thing that makes the Similans so special are the granite boulder sites on the northern, southern and western sides of the islands. Some of these dive sites have rocks as big as houses with tons of swim throughs at various depths, lots of coral sheltering in the passages, pelagic fish, etc. I've not dived anywhere else where the underwater topography is as dramatic and wonderful. If you do a four-day trip, you will visit a number of these amazing boulder sites. If you do a three-day trip, you may miss them.

Hi Quero, That's me! thank you for your advice. We had a great trip to Komodo :)
Is there a 4 day liveaboard you would recommend? Also would late november be a good time to go as I am pretty restricted? The boulder sites sound amazing

Glad to know you had a good trip to Komodo. The Similans/Richelieu area is quite different from Komodo, but if you go with an open mind and try not to compare, you can appreciate each one for what it offers. Komodo's got the currents that bring all that nutrient-rich cold water in to feed all the marine life, but the vistas aren't really all that memorable. The Similans has the vistas, but the marine life isn't as thrilling. Just enjoy each one for what it is and you'll be happy.

Late November is a pretty good time to go to the Similans, though you may not see mantas or other big stuff that we tend to see later in the season. OTOH, you might get lucky! My customers last November saw mantas, so you never know!

I love the boulders. We can't do every dive at them, though, since they tend to be such deep sites and in the shallows they can be pretty surgey, but I always look forward to them a lot.

Back
Top Bottom