Advice to New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could use old Glow Sticks! If you put them in the freezer they can be reused! It maybe cheaper? :shocked2: I will rethink the wick thing!

If I go to a beach full of scuba divers and I bring my garden hose beach ball do I still need to have a red and white flag? Can I paint the ball red and white? Can I just stay close to someone with a flag? I have been reading about octos - should I get a garden shop hose splitter in case a scuba diver gives me an out of air signal?

Thanks for the encouragement, man!

Will a waterproof flashlight help me see in murky water?

yes & so will waterproof matches-----they'd be cheaper....

If I go to a beach full of scuba divers and I bring my garden hose beach ball do I still need to have a red and white flag? Can I paint the ball red and white? Can I just stay close to someone with a flag? I have been reading about octos - should I get a garden shop hose splitter in case a scuba diver gives me an out of air signal?

That ****s for sissy's! If you have to use the ball as a buoy! A spray can of red paint sprayed on the surface where you go down will be enough! Also train yourself to allow a little fart once in a while and that will mark your location! Again with the bucket you can do away with expensive regs! It will be like a rebreather and later you can carry any fish you catch home in it! :coffee:

Thanks papa bear your the best, man!

If I wanted to do a drift dive would it be safer to tie a loop of rope around the end of the garden hose and loop that around my neck, or should I hang on to the hose with my teeth when my hands are on the waterproof camera?

I think your for getting the basics! First with the bucket you don't need that much hose! So depending on the size of the bucket and if you will allow you buddy to share it with you, you didn't say if you where going to buy a second bucket or go solo, you would again use the duct tape and tape the hose to the Buoy or ball and tie the rope to your buddy, don't want them slipping away! Now zip lock bags and Canon cameras go together really well, but remember to double bag the strobe due to heat! Remember to bring extra batteries for the camera and strobe! You may have to change them during the dive! Bucket rebreather dives can last for up to two days!

Always remember when in doubt MORE DUCT TAPE!

Yup, papa, "Sometimes you just have to laugh!"

A lot of the techniques described here are can be found in my How too Book: "You too can spell underwater with the right kiyboard and a plastic beg" or Do it youirself SCUBA made safe using PADI required safty stoops! :mooner: Visit our web site and buy a Reed's Rod and you will get a free copy at a small additional price, but it will be cheaper on line, the following offer not good in the US and Canada, California VAT tax will be added! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom