Advise on Aqualung equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rinoxus

Registered
Reaction score
My local Divemaster has some brand new Aqualung equipment for sale and I was wondering what ya'll thought about it.

BC's
-The Wave, and The Maverick
1st and 2nd stage
-Calypso
Octopus
-IPO
Analog gauges
Computer
-Vytec
-Vyper
--watch or pressure gauge attachment

They are really good prices and I just want to know what you guys can tell me about them.

Well, I like the Vyper. Nice nitrox computer, and can be used in gauge mode as well. Nice as a wrist unit. I wouldnt pay money for the other stuff...

You won't find me saying this often, but I agree with Lubold, (Sorry Chuck! :) ) on both counts - Vyper good, rest of stuff crap.

Wow man, Thanks for the vote of confidence. Just when I was thinking I had friends, and then BAM!!!! You get blasted!!!! Thanks alot man...

Boogie711:
You won't find me saying this often, but I agree with Lubold, (Sorry Chuck! :) ) on both counts - Vyper good, rest of stuff crap.
I am curious.
Please, point by point, explain why each of the other pieces of equipment is "crap."
Real data points, if that's not too much trouble.
Thanks,
Rick

I wouldnt say any of the other stuff is "crap", I just wouldnt use it. I think there is better equipment available. Sure, the stuff would work. I just like to have higher quality equipment. I'm sure Boogie will have his own response tomorrow morning...

Rinoxus:
My local Divemaster has some brand new Aqualung equipment for sale and I was wondering what ya'll thought about it.

BC's
-The Wave, and The Maverick
1st and 2nd stage
-Calypso
Octopus
-IPO
Analog gauges
Computer
-Vytec
-Vyper
--watch or pressure gauge attachment

They are really good prices and I just want to know what you guys can tell me about them.

The regs AL's low end models. Save your money for something better.

The Vyper and Vytec are both good computers. Get the wrist mount.

The BCD's are ok. Our students learn in them and they work. They're not much good for anything remotely "technical" but for bimbling around they're acceptable.

R..

Thanks for asking Rick. Basically, what Diver0001 said ^^^^. I should have added Vytec to the 'good' list as well.

None of it is going to kill you. I reserve words much stronger than 'crap' for things like the "Air Buddy" which really might. (It's a nipple on the end of a LP hose used instead of an octo.)

They're all low end pieces which are found in rental departments across the globe for a reason - because they're cheap. I wouldn't pay money for any of it. If they were free I wouldn't use them. I suppose if the poster was going to go look at pretty rocks and fish 3 times a year they might work, but even then he'd probably be happier with a different gear configuration.

And I'm not sure if the poster meant to type LPO (low profile octo) rather than IPO. In that case - yes, I did mean crap. Those things are evil.

Would you like me to give a point by point data analysis on 'evil' as well?

Well, I am a college student, in Micronesia for a year. Don't have much cash, but if you guys could give me an idea of what some of the better gear is, then I'll be glad to listen. The Divemaster was giving us a discount so we could afford some gear. Maybe if you guys have suggestions, or maybe preferences feel free to share them. I really have practically no experience on choosing gear. I have an Olympus c-5050 with Ikelite housing and would like something steady to hook it onto my BCD. Anyway I am wanting to get it soon. I am starting my Advanced on Sunday, so I'd like gear.

AL makes good gear. On the regs go for the Titan LX. Outstanding breather and priced right. Octo same thing. Vyper is also good hardware. Hard to tell you on the other stuff as it depends on what type of diving you are going to be doing. For the money, I would consider looking at some used gear. Ebay has Dive Rite Transpacs all the time for decent money. If you go with a Jacket, then forget about ever using it for techinical diving. If you know you won't be doing that type of diving then it's still and outstanding rig. Definately go with back inflate. The Maverick is decent but not great. Have you checked the prices of the shop to LP or other source?

Back
Top Bottom