• 70-79

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • 80-89

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 90-99

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get being free spirited. Throwing random stuff out there all the time, not so much. Past, you know, when you are 5.

ISTR that "thinking/language patterns" theories where English-speakers tend to think straight whereas Japanese tend to skirt around the issue picking various spots on the periphery until their audience "gets the picture", and so on.

Consider this: just because "stuff" sounds random to you, does not mean it is.

ISTR that "thinking/language patterns" theories where English-speakers tend to think straight whereas Japanese tend to skirt around the issue picking various spots on the periphery until their audience "gets the picture", and so on.

Consider this: just because "stuff" sounds random to you, does not mean it is.
I don't think non-English cultural non-directness is the issue.

Only on Scubaboard, I feel young again ...

Do you think 0 year olds should be eligible to vote?

(If you say no, that's ageism. Or is that temporal discrimination? -- I can never remember.)
Lol- I actually don’t think anyone should be able to vote until they are supporting themselves: it’s too easy to be idealistic when you are not paying your own bills and taxes - but that’s a whole other topic...

Reactions: BRT
Lol- I actually don’t think anyone should be able to vote until they are supporting themselves: it’s too easy to be idealistic when you are not paying your own bills and taxes - but that’s a whole other topic...
We have two 0-9 years old on SB according to the poll :)

Good poll; 50 just about to turn 51. Which I had in mind this past January when I chose to head to the Galapagos for a dive trip. Blessed to get that bucket list trip done while I'm still 'not so old.' As for the 'age is just a number' crowd, my vision, knee, back and general 'get up and go' would disagree with you.

A lot of those dive fatality threads posted on the forum 'star' people in their 50's and 60's. I wonder how much that reflects skewed age range participation vs. the medical vulnerabilities of that cohort?

I'm glad there's discussion about the needs of the younger and often less affluent diver (ironically, the unemployed retiree often faces a big drop in income, so those discussions are relevant to them, too).

Spend time on other forums and you may see discussion of the need for millennials to forego short-term expensive indulgences, save and invest wisely toward financial independence, frugality is your friend...then come to Scuba Board where there are long, extensive threads on how to convince young people to take up this (often chronically expensive) hobby.

Understandable, just funny to see such a different mindset.

Spend time on other forums and you may see discussion of the need for millennials to forego short-term expensive indulgences, save and invest wisely toward financial independence, frugality is your friend...then come to Scuba Board where there are long, extensive threads on how to convince young people to take up this (often chronically expensive) hobby.

Understandable, just funny to see such a different mindset.

And then us Gen Zers and millennials remind people that we have bills and things to save up for and get accused of being lazy entitled couch potatoes too obsessed with video games to get a job and pay for diving. Then a thread pops up later asking what got people into diving and half the responses follow the form of "was interested when young, but took decades to save up and get into a financially stable place where I could dive."

Based on the frequent responders on the forum, I'm not surprised at all at the current age distribution

Here's another thought: why have a poll entry for 0-9 in the first place? That's not serious either...
I haven't read the whole thread, but considering the number of sub 10 year olds I see with there own phones, and that some programs allow shallow stuff starting at 8.... It could be viable that there is an SB member under 10. Unlikely, but not impossible.
Respectfully
James

And then us Gen Zers and millennials remind people that we have bills and things to save up for and get accused of being lazy entitled couch potatoes too obsessed with video games to get a job and pay for diving. Then a thread pops up later asking what got people into diving and half the responses follow the form of "was interested when young, but took decades to save up and get into a financially stable place where I could dive."

Based on the frequent responders on the forum, I'm not surprised at all at the current age distribution
Wait, are you talking about actual diving or is this a diving app on your smartphone? XD

Too bad some are responding with the wrong age, it's an interesting question.
I haven't read the whole thread, but considering the number of sub 10 year olds I see with there own phones, and that some programs allow shallow stuff starting at 8.... It could be viable that there is an SB member under 10. Unlikely, but not impossible.
Respectfully
James
These were trolls

Back
Top Bottom