Agencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mark my stages the "old way"
bottom gases
32: 100
30/30: 120
25/25: 150
21/35: 190
18/45: 220
15/55: 270
(too cold here for the deeper dives/gases)

deco gases
O2: oxygen 20
50%: 70
35/25: 120
21/35 (which I have never needed to use as a deco gas): 190

I have given up on permanent stickers except on my O2 and 70ft (AL40) deco bottles, I just use white duct tape and a fat sharpie.

I don't think that marked MODs need to be standardized to dive together - just the actual gas. If I have a 21/35 marked 190 and you have a 21/35 stage marked 150 that's fine. We aren't taking them below 150 in that case - which probably won't be an issue 95% of the dives anyway. I would dive 21/35 a bit deeper than 150 if the situation was reasonable however (sounds like you guys would too). If the situation is not reasonable for a dip down to even 170ish then the MOD sticker or what some GUE standard does or doesn't say really isn't the best way for me to make that decision anyway. Ditto if someone wanted to mark their 25/25 as "130" when mine's marked 150.

I really don't care and operationally it ends up being just semantics because I don't dive bottom gases right up against the marked MOD (by and large). But to me and on my boat maximum means maximum, we don't dip below that, whomever's stages are marked shallowest. If you want to remark them in the field we can do that.

As a boat owner, skipper, and DM I expect any stages aboard to be marked with some reasonable MOD where the END is <110ish and the ppO2 is < or =1.6. If you wanted to put 160 on a 21/35 bottom gas stage knock yourself out. As your skipper or buddy I expect you won't take it below 160 then. This makes sense to me, accomodates people with various gas preferences, and avoids what I think is a logical mistake assuming a particular MOD = a particular gas.

I have yet to run into the situation where a project or trip is so complicated that I have 35/25 tanks and 30/30 tanks in a big pool which might get mixed up. Or 21/35 bottom gas and 21/35 deco gas etc etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom