Ahe Dive Resort, Cenderawasih West Papua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with you about the conservation of the local community FOR their community. I am also considering to take a LOB to Cenderwasih Bay BUT will definitely ask the LOB operator in details about their contribution to the local efforts & their answer is going to be playing a big play in my decision. The whalesharks didn't appear by accident, the local community nurtured it (as far as I have read), so I feel that they should be duly rewarded for this magic.

Yes xariatay conservation and caring for our oceans are very important and as divers even more so we should care as we are fully aware of its beauty than most.Mankind is the most dangerous species on this planet

I have not come across,or know of anywhere in Indonesia like Ahe Island,which does make it special and that by us going there can make a differents in this area as far as conservation and the environment and local community and knowing all profit is going back into the community.Other projects like this.you can also see big profits also being taken out for self gain.

The odd liveaboard is now starting to appear in this area,remember cenderawasih is a big area.this is a concern and as you mention at what contribution ok a marine park fee would be paid and a local village area fee paid which is nothing really especially when you think at $500 a night per diver,12 divers,10 nights how much of that huge amount flows back into the community,say no more.

As for whale sharks,yes indeed it is magic xariatay, at Ahe Island there are rules and protection of them is of most importants and the amount of divers at one time and how one should conduct themselves EX: NO CHASING,NO TOUCHING OR PREVENTING FEEDING BEHAVIOUR and having a truly magic time.

Will in time the introduction of more and more Liveaboards in this area and its inpact on the whalesharks,with large diver groups.multiple dives,flashes going off all over the place,touching,chasing have a effect on them and then the pursuit to find them,time will tell.

For now at Ahe Island it is magic and for it to remain that way and what ever happens in the future at least we know at least around the Ahe Island area they will be doing there best to protect the environment,improve it and protect the whalesharks at all costs :D

@ Octodiver yes Victoria Crowned Pigeon thanks for that,yes very pretty species.thought Cuscus was wonderful and lots of other bird species including Mambru,sea eagles and hundreds of frigate's returning towards sunset

Last edited:
Are the transfers included? & there is a fixed transfer or they run everyday?

Funscuba yes Staying on Ahe island is the only option to visit Whale sharks.This is a totally remote area of Papua,the area is protected for the conservation of the area and whale sharks/marine life,which Ahe Island is part of with it's local community and with the project being run on the island.

Yes the fisherman are always there and move around,when nets are full,they will then take to mainland,visits to see the whale sharks are arranged with them,so they know you are coming

Not mention before the cost of staying at AHE is 1 week Euro 995 2 week Euro 1890 Euro 135 per extra day and 20% off for non diver fully exclusive
3 guided boat dives per day
1 trip to the whale sharks per week… if you don’t see them you do again for free.
Unlimited dives on house reef
All meals, snacks, unlimited fruits, water, tea and coffee
Transfer from and to the airport.It around 30 minutes by car and then 30 minutes by boat roughly
Hotel room in Nabire (hotel Anggrek) on last night.this is only needed if you have a morning flight.

Taking into account everything i feel the costs are good especially taking into account it being in such a remote area and costs of having to bring everything to the island ect.. And of course the moments spent with the whalesharks are priceless in my mind :wink:

Hope that is of help to everybody.post some more pixs soon.

Are the transfers included? & there is a fixed transfer or they run everyday?

Yes transfers are included and unlike others do not charge for this,nor fixed days departure/arrival,so you can arrive and depart on any day you wish.which make things easy.It takes around 30 minutes from Nabire to boat pick up and another 30 minutes by boat to Ahe Island.

@Almitch yes the happy face photos are cute and full of innocents

Wow , thanks so much for sharing this amazing report and pictures!

Wow , thanks so much for sharing this amazing report and pictures!

Happy you enjoyed ! will be going back Ahe Island next year in March.i loved it there beautiful island,remote.few divers and to spend so much time with whalesharks and enjoyable diving.But most of all for all the conservation and environmental reasons and protection of this area which the local community is doing and that ALL PROFIT which can be made going back into the local community and can't wait.

You can enjoy all pictures here,right side of page view all albums AHE ISLAND pictures by WIME - Photobucket

I leave soon 1st March to Ahe Island again,can't wait.I receive good news that Mola Mola have been seen and plenty of Mantas,more investigation needed :D good timing as i will be there :D

Here is a niice video from Ahe Island and whalesharks Cenderawasih Capers on Vimeo

WoooooW, that is a hell of a video man.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom